2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front axle fix/swap advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
soundguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front axle fix/swap advice needed

During the many repairs I made to my new Blazer before ever driving it, I noticed the driver's side seal leaking on the front differential, in topping it off I figured out that it was essentially dry previously. When rotating the driver's sideaxle with the rotors off, it makes a lite grinding noise from the area of the leak (for example: it kinda sounds like a warped rotor with a dragging pad when vehicle is coasting)Took truck out for first drive after fixing brakes etc and filling up front diff. With the window down I can hear the noise - although not too loud. Probably this bearing is shot (among others?) from previous owner running the diff dry? If so, can Ireplace this bearing and sealthis while in the truck?

I have read other horror stories here about how impossible it is to swap out these front differential assemblies. Is it really that hard? I found a replacement assembly (complete from driver's side axle flange to the passenger's side tube) locally for about $250. Should I try to fix mine or swap with a used assembly? I'm feeling somewhat daunted here! Since this is my DD, am I taking a risk just by driving every day with this going on provided I keep fluid in it? Thanks for any input to my dillema and any links to good R&R info - My Haynes manual sucks! -

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Front axle fix/swap advice needed

I know when I brought my truck in for its first park brake repair (it was still on warranty), they changed the rear axle seal, park brake pads and such, and also the drivers side front axle seal all between 9:30 - 10AM and about 2PM... I'm sure a hoist makes it a million times easier, but... lol, just gives an idea that it might be possible to do yourself... Just might take some time... a Haynes or Chilton manual will help a lot, as well...

Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Rear axle is simple to replace seals and bearings in. The front axle however must be fully removed and disassembled to replace the internal bearings. If bearing damage has occured, this is what must be done. Now, one thing that is interesting is that the front diff should not be moving while you are driving down the road in 2wd. That is unless your front axle is engaged which you would know on the first tight turn you make.

Anyway, I don't think it is that complicated of a procedure to remove the front differential and should be fairly straight forward with jackstands and a good floor jack.

Removal Procedure

1. Unlock the steering column so the steering linkage is free to move.
2. Remove the shifter cable from the front differential. Refer to Shift Cable Replacement.
3. Raise the suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
4. Remove the two front tire and wheel assembly.
5. Remove the steering linkage shield. Refer to Steering Linkage Shield Replacement.
6. Remove the differential carrier shield. Refer to Shield Replacement.
7. Remove the lower part of shock absorber bolt and nut.
8. Drain the lubricant from the front differential. Refer to Lubricant Change.
9. Remove the electrical connector from the front differential indicator switch.
10. Remove the differential shifter cable housing.
11. Remove the vent hose. Refer to Vent Hose Replacement.
12. Remove the steering relay rod from the idler and pitman arms.
13. Remove the front propeller shaft. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement-Front.
14. Suitable support the front differential.
15. Remove the right and left wheel drive shafts. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement.
16. Remove the differential carrier assembly from the frame. Roll the carrier counterclockwise while lifting up to gain clearance from the mounting ears.
Over simplified and time consuming yes...

Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Trust me, I'm no pro! When people ask me if I know alot about working on cars, I say, "just enough to keep myself out of trouble." I am sometimes hesitant to start a job when I dont know how it'll turn out in the end. I have enough trouble with the ones that are "easy"! I'm pretty good turning wrenches, it's just that Murphy lives in my garage if you know what I mean.

Anyways, damnedest thing, I just took the truck up to the c-store and could nothear a bit of noise from the diff (when coasting at 5mph and head out the window) and there were no drips under the leaking area (just a drip hanging on to the bottom of the case). Maybe it just needed some actual fluid in it and some miles to get the lube to the bearing. If I get home and findthe diif isstill relatively full, I might just take the cv-axle out, replace the seal while the diff is in the truck and call it good. I heard you can put a new driver's side seal in the front diffwhile it's in the truck, right?

I'd much rather spend the money on much neededshocks (to stop the floating after bumps on the highway) and 4 balljoints/2 tie rod ends (they are good, just boots are all ripped). My wife has been very cool with me dumping $$$ into this new project since we want to pull a camper with it next year, I just hate going over budget.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM

ah...Kyle is back online...Dude, you havean answer to every post I have put up. You ARE da man! thanks again, check my latest post above and let me know your opinion. Gracias! -Mike