2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump - Repair/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
Klturi421 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump - Repair/Upgrade

So I replaced my injectors and I still have a misfire issue. I think I have reduced it down to a fuel pump issue.

Either tonight or tomorrow I will be doing another pressure check. The last time I performed a check it gradually dropped from 55 psi to 10psi within 10 minutes. That was before I installed the new injectors.

If it turns out to be the fuel pump, I want to try and repair it so to speak. I noticed rockauto has a kit for $50 that has the new pump. I also saw some other pumps like the HFP 255LPH.

Has anyone had any success with an aftermarket "performance" fuel pump?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Klturi421
.....Has anyone had any success with an aftermarket "performance" fuel pump?
Nope. Use AC Delco or Delphi only. Fuel pumps are not the place to cut corners, try to save money, or experiment with aftermarket stuff.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Starting Member

Would something along the lines of an ACDelco repair kit be worth trying out?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DELCO-FUE...ht_2135wt_1185

Also at this moment there is an airtex fuel pump. Would one of these repair kits fit inside the current pump assembly?

I know deep down I should get a whole new pump but Im trying not to spend the money on one of those.

As I read some where else. 'I'm not cheap, just broke.'

Last edited by Klturi421; 06-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Stay away from airtex or you will be replacing it again soon. Like in 2 months soon lol.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you've got an Airtex module on there, I doubt the AC Delco pump repair will fit. The Airtex is designed differently, (understatement of the century). It has different connectors, different bypassing, different design housing and a cheesy fuel level buffer system that, if the gauge works now, it won't for long. Pretty soon the needle will start bouncing all over and eventually quit working.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Starting Member

Its already started bouncing around on me. I knew that was going bad, I'm more concerned about the pump getting fuel to my engine.

I did a pressure test today and it dropped considerably from 60 to about 10 psi in under 30 seconds.

I think the next time I get my tank low enough I will drop it and check the pump, make sure the hose in the housing isnt loose or have a leak in it.

Hopefully I can save up for a delphi/acdelco pump in the next month or two providing this one lasts that long.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM
traecer is on a distinguished road
Default Avoid Airtex fuel pumps

Seriously, AVOID all fuel pumps but AC Delco at all costs! My Airtex fuel pump (which I bought because that was the only one in stock & I was in a bind) gave out after only 13 months. It's even worse though, because in those 13 months I only drove my Blazer about 8000 miles! I couldn't believe it when the mechanic told me it was only building up to about 40psi after all that work of putting it in (long story, I'll have to tell you guys someday). Anyway, Airtex pumps will not last long, and I've actually heard the same about Bosch pumps...so save yourself some trouble and get an ACDelco.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Starting Member

Is there any way to determine if a fuel pump is Acdelco/Delphi ?

This is just a thought, but I am looking at the possibility of visiting the local junk yard and pulling a pump from one of the blazers there (4 door of course) and do a repair kit. Pricing wise it would be cheaper than getting it brand new.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM

A pressure drop like you got there, is probably a leaky check valve in the pump itself, and it can't be serviced separately. You really need to connect the pressure tester directly to the pump at the fuel filter so the pressure dead ends at the tester. Energize the pump and you should get 78psi to 108psi and it must remain above 55psi for 10 minutes. You'll be amazed what you get. I'd be surprized if it even builds 70psi.... pretty common for Airtex, brand new right out of the box.

Most auto parts stores sell the Airtex for around $300. Amazon & Ebay have AC Delco for under $200... it's a no brainer.

Edit: If you can take some pix of the Airtex, down inside, and post them, I can usually identify them.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Not sure if the delphi ones on rockauto for 200 come with a sending unit though. But IIRC they cost about 80 bucks of rockauto. If the gauge is bouncing its probably the sender, bad ground or open circuit.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump - Repair/Upgrade