2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Tank Wont Accept gas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 PM
chuckles87blue is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Fuel Tank Wont Accept gas!!!

Help I think I just bought someone else's Problems
I purchased a 1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4 Door And I Am finding Alot Of Issues I have to replace the O2 sensors And Then Fix The Mirrors but Today I thought That I would Put gas in it and the pump kept clicking off like the tank ws full, however I only put two dollars in so I kept turning it on and then it pooled out on the ground LOL wow this is a problem I have never come accross yet I also have noticed teh air bag Light in the dash coming on now and tehn whch is kinda scary because I think it is going to go off What is wrong with this thing I hope I didnt buy a lemon AS IS Help Please

Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

As far as you fueling problem you probably have some kind of obstruction in the vent line that isn't letting the fuel vapor vent out of the tank. You can take it off and run a welding rod or coat hanger down it to see. I would put a hook in the end and try to remove any blockage by pulling it out rather than push it into the tank. Hete's the LMC website for that year of tank to ive you an idea of what to look for. Yours is a 98 so it will be Item 22. Could be a collapsed hose. Think simple man. It's gotta vent. If not that then take a look at the fill hose. Would bet it's one of the two. If you have to just pull the hoses off and check them.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=138
Why do you have to replace the O2 sensors? Of someone put red (high temp) silicone on them I see why. Nothing will ruin them faster than that. Anti-seize my man - always! Actually I've cleaned mine with a stainless brush and a propane torch (Bernz-O-Matic). They are made to run hot you know. Really no way to test them.
Can't help you on your airbags though.
Boy if this is all you have to do you are in luck.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 06-17-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

I`m with Gimpy Blazer on the clogged vent or collapsed\squished hose that runs from the filler neck to the tank.

Had an old ford pick-up. The bed floor was so rusted that it had dropped about 2". When ever I had to fill-up I had to physically lift the bed at the fender well in order for it to flow to the tank at a decent rate. What a PITA that was.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

Chuck did you buy this vehicle with a blindfold on. Why did you not test drive this thing,if HEGO sensors are bad the light should of been on I would of checked every switch in that thing before I bought it. Ok for your problem You have a vent hose on it and if it is blocked it will not accept fuel you can see it buy looking under the vehicle and following the fuel fill tube it will be right next to it,also there is a flapper valve in the fill tube and if it is bad it will not open when you fill up. Check both one is the problem.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Default Ok yeah The Blinfold thing is Right LOL

So I Took Off The Vent Tube At The Rubber Tube First Hose Clamp From The Filler Neck, ANd It was wet with gas I Shoved A tube down it and tried to clear it but that was not working , so I tried to see if the truck would accept gas from a 2 gallon gas tank with the vapor line not connected, at first it was filling and then Fuel started pouring out of the hard vapor line that was still connected, I am thinking that maybe the tank is over full but maybe the gauge is not working, It is reading 1/4 tank and the digital range says 72 still, I am going to put some gas in my 2 gallon and go for a trip arond the block untill I run out just to see if I only have a 1/4 Tank. oh yeah And The o2 sensors well that was what the code was when I had the auto place run it on my test drive LOL
kinda low on cash and needed to buy something that day. codes are p0155 aND p1153 . Thanks For All The Help, Maybe The Codes Will Help More To See The Situation That I Am In

Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Kinda sounds like you're in for a tank drop one of these days.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Default I am Hopeing that is not the case

I hope I dont have to drop the tank although with the spare tire out it is all right there not like some cars I Have done, any advice on the codes?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member
stephensh is on a distinguished road

Blazer fuel gauge issues are common. Their is a part on the pump which fails. I recall too when I changed my pump their was a plastic ball inline of the fuel filler hose which I'm unsure of it's purpose.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Starting Member
ladieblue is on a distinguished road
Default not able to refuel

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
As far as you fueling problem you probably have some kind of obstruction in the vent line that isn't letting the fuel vapor vent out of the tank. You can take it off and run a welding rod or coat hanger down it to see. I would put a hook in the end and try to remove any blockage by pulling it out rather than push it into the tank. Hete's the LMC website for that year of tank to ive you an idea of what to look for. Yours is a 98 so it will be Item 22. Could be a collapsed hose. Think simple man. It's gotta vent. If not that then take a look at the fill hose. Would bet it's one of the two. If you have to just pull the hoses off and check them.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=138
Why do you have to replace the O2 sensors? Of someone put red (high temp) silicone on them I see why. Nothing will ruin them faster than that. Anti-seize my man - always! Actually I've cleaned mine with a stainless brush and a propane torch (Bernz-O-Matic). They are made to run hot you know. Really no way to test them.
Can't help you on your airbags though.
Boy if this is all you have to do you are in luck.

the actual problem is the same thing I had on my 2002 blazer...it is the fuel evap switch, probably the simple one that costs $20 something and is put in under the truck. my last attempt at gassing up was 53 cents before I had my stepson replace mine. bought it from Auto Zone and had the directions from GM website somewhere.. hope this helps

Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Starting Member
xv03298 is on a distinguished road

My boss' wife has an 02 that won't take fuel. What do I need to tell him?

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Wont Accept gas!!!