2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Getting that airbag out of the steering colum

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Beginning Member
Agencyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting that airbag out of the steering colum

Thought I'd better start a new thread, I will try to delete the other post in someone else's thread.

Mine is a Bravada, 2001. I had been trusting that it was virtually identical to the Blazer and Jimmy except for trim and badges. But I cannot find any way to release the bag using the already posted directions.
ORIGINAL: swatrlkk
Sounds like the clock spring (what keeps electrical contact with all of the electrical components in the steering wheel) has failed.

1. First, disable the SIR system (airbags) Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
3. Remove the key from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
4. Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block.
5. Remove the left sound insulator, if equipped.
6. Remove the knee bolster.
7. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
8. Open the IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.
9. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
10. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.

Next, remove the airbag module from the steering wheel:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to unlock the steering wheel.
2. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from the straight-ahead position in order to gain access to the access holes behind the steering wheel.
3. Insert a screwdriver into each access hole and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.
4. Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees in order to gain access to the remaining access holes.
5. Insert a screwdriver into each access holes and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.
6. Tilt the top of the inflator module rearward to gain access to the SIR wiring.
7. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the inflator module.
8. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel.
9. Disconnect the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer.
10. Disconnect the electrical connector. CAUTION: Refer to Inflator Module Handling Caution in Service Precautions.
11. Remove the inflator module from the vehicle.

After that, you will need to remove the retaining nut on the steering wheel, then use a puller to remove the wheel. The clock spring will be under the steering wheel.
*ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS INSERTED*

Fuse out, airbags disconnected. When I look into the recesses under the steering wheel, I see a torx screwhead on each side, in part of the recess, and deeper down it is showing white metal, which moves a fraction when I push down on the bag and release it, but there is nothing in the feel of it to imply it will release any bag hold down.

Pull the torx Screws?

TIA
Bruce Hinton

Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Getting that airbag out of the steering colum

There are four access holes (one on each side and two on the bottom) that allow you to insert a screw driver to release the leaf spring from the retaining pin. The instructions I have do not list whether you must use four different screw drivers simultaneously holding back the four leaf springs to release the air bag module. It does not mention anything about removing any fasteners prior to releasing the pins.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had to use 4 screwdrivers to hold the 'spring' back. It is tough though...take your time, you usually can carefully release one at a time-then after a springs release-keep(hold) that corner of the pad away from the wheel not allowing itself to re-attach. good luck JP[:-]

Old 12-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member

I cannot find these releases your instructions speak of. This is a picture with the mirror showing one of the recesses under the shroud beneath the airbag cover, visible when the wheel is turned 90 degrees.

The metal seen seems to be only the bottom of the airbag base, it moves with the action of pressing the horn.

Am I off track by looking here?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have one on each side, then you must turn the wheel so that it is upside down (180*) and there should be two more visible.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

Just so you will know!

Witness the two pin bag. I had pushed every moulding and every access I could find but since I was looking for four, I spent most of my time trying to find them too high, just ubder the bag cover, lucky I didn't rip into the bag, - two ov the openings actually showed the white fabric.

I finally decided the directions to find four releases was not valid for my car. The two slots, one on each side, (no others), near the Torx screws, eventually gave up the bag, but pushing, the directive, as hard as I could, accomplished Nothing.

One has to push to the bottom, then lever the screwdriver handle out away from the column. Now I have flashers and turn indicators again! Yea!!!

Thanks for the responses,
Bruce Hinton

Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Well... They must have changed something from 2000 to 2001. Good to know and sorry for the confusion. The information I posted was from the service information on a 2000 Bravada.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Beginning Member

You were right on spec!. I even bought the $20.00 manual from Advance Auto. It also said the 4 pin release was through 2001.

I could have a "parts car" they cobbled together near the end of production for the year... My first wife had a Ford Maverick with an entire brake system, wet and dry, from an adjacent year. -Can't believe I remembered THAT.

OK, so now I have fixed the problems with turn, & haz, caused by the smoke I saw come out of the switch once a few months back!!! When will we get some good techs who can instruct us on the proper procedure to get the smoke back in there, and thus reverse the problem. Duh...

However, this car is possibly possessed by the agents of Hades. I am going to find the electrical troubleshooting section so it can be seen by those who understand this vehicle, then post all the weird things it has done. Scary!

Thanks again,
Bruce