2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Getting at fuel pump through cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Verwah is on a distinguished road
Default Getting at fuel pump through cabin?

Has anyone considered locating the location of the pump from the inside? If I could peel back the carpet and cut a small hole in the floor, it might be easier for a one man operation. Thoughts?

Additionally, if someone knows a resource for the type of schematic that would provide me with a roughly 12" diameter access port that is clear of critical components, that would be super. I'd get out the reciprocating saw and give it a try.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

air chisel with cutting bit works better
Guys did this with the late 80's camaros because it is a alot of work to get the tank off
they cut a 1/2 -3/4 circle , bent it up
Afterwards spot weld it back down

Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Verwah
Has anyone considered locating the location of the pump from the inside? If I could peel back the carpet and cut a small hole in the floor, it might be easier for a one man operation. Thoughts?

Additionally, if someone knows a resource for the type of schematic that would provide me with a roughly 12" diameter access port that is clear of critical components, that would be super. I'd get out the reciprocating saw and give it a try.
I did this, worked like a charm, the square I cut out of it was 1 foot square, then I got a couple hinges from a local hardware store, and hinged it up, then got a thin piece of aluminum to act as a "door stop" to prevent the hole you cut from falling through, and I riveted it to it.. Primed all the bare metal surfaces, and then sealed it up with a good silicone. Worked like a charm, now when I need to do it again, it will be even easier

Measure twice, cut once. Also, a jig saw, and hack saw will be your best bet on this one, no sparks at all. and a super clean cut, which will be easiest to seal up.
I would not spot weld it, honestly, you can get a better result if you did it the way I told you. Then, down the road when you need to do it again, simple.

Attached Thumbnails Getting at fuel pump through cabin?-dsc_3343.jpg   Getting at fuel pump through cabin?-dsc_3344.jpg   Getting at fuel pump through cabin?-dsc_3345.jpg  

Last edited by richphotos; 02-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I might try this

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the access panel, its a beautiful thing. alot of foreign cars actually put panel above the fuel pump. when i do mine i just drill a small hole right about where you kinda guess where one of the corners would be, and just lave the drill bit hanging down through the floor and look under the truck and make sure its in the right place then do the 4 corners like pictures above.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not - Buick Park Avenue's have access doors to the fuel pump in the trunk. I dropped the tank to replace the pump and - hey what's that up there... DOH!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I went to a junkyard and cut the cargo area out of a totaled blazer. Took measurements from that and paid for the floor. Picked my carpet up, transfered my measurements to the blazer, and cut it out with an agle grinder with a cut off blade 1 foot by 1 foot. Used the floor from the totaled blazer to make a 16x16 inch patch panel. Cleaned up the burrs, painted cut edges, silicone and screws to attach.

Guys with 4x4 trucks cut access holes in their beds for easier trail fixes. Under the carpet (or vinyl mat) of a blazer nobody ever knows.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Starting Member
Dadatone is on a distinguished road

Richphotos, what brand blade did you use when you made the cuts? I'm thinking because of the relative closeness to the fuel lines a short blade would have to be used in this situation.

Also, would you be able to provide us some dimensions for reference? The placement of your hatch looks perfectly placed.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

its 1'x1' as for measurements, from side to side and front to back, I just went between the body and frame outside and measured with a yard stick, and transferred those to the inside, it worked out really well.
Sorry, i dont have the measurements anymore.

as for the blade on the jig saw, I used a shorter metal cutting blade, it cut through the sheet metal like butter, there will be a floor support that was a bit tricky to get through, but for that, I just took the blade off of a hack saw, and put on a pair of work gloved and got through that with the hack saw blade.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Having a 2-door Blazer, I guess I will just drop the tank since its easier than the 4-door. I have been against the odds with the weather latey, and the truck being in my slightly inclined driveway. I am going to be on my back in the cold rain. Thanks for all the info though! Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Getting at fuel pump through cabin?