2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Has the AC Delco PF52 Oil Filter been revised?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road
Default Has the AC Delco PF52 Oil Filter been revised?

I bought a AC Delco PF52 oil filter yesterday and noticed it looks different inside around where it treads in. has it been revised? i know the Chevy 350 AC Delco filter was revised a few years back and they put a check valve in it. so does anyone know anything about the PF52? is it just looks or internal revisions?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i havent heard anything

Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

CLICK HERE for a link to the AC Delco News Bulletin concerning the change in filter design.

There are currently three different versions of the PF52 oil filter available at various retailers. One is made by Wix and the other two are made by Champion Labs. The new filter is made by Champion Labs and is part of their new eCore design.

My local GM dealer still has the Wix made filters on the shelf. I was just in Advance Auto last night and was looking at their AC Delco filters (PF61 for the Rainier) and noticed the difference.

There are very few manufacturers of oil filters out there.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
CLICK HERE for a link to the AC Delco News Bulletin concerning the change in filter design.

There are currently three different versions of the PF52 oil filter available at various retailers. One is made by Wix and the other two are made by Champion Labs. The new filter is made by Champion Labs and is part of their new eCore design.

My local GM dealer still has the Wix made filters on the shelf. I was just in Advance Auto last night and was looking at their AC Delco filters (PF61 for the Rainier) and noticed the difference.

There are very few manufacturers of oil filters out there.
you know that makes sense. i do remember another oil filter brand looking like the older ac delco inside. the inside was more recessed in.... so far i have noticed that old design, then was the the flat design, and now the new one that you saw at the store too. just curious, whats a PF61 used for? who make rainer? i read the AC Delco update bullentin and they also mention that the casing maybe smaller. i have to compare it to the older one i have...is PF61 bigger in size than the PF52?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

the PF61 is the same size as the 52 it just has different threads. They are used on most chevy trucks along with the trailblazers. A Rainier is Buick's version of the trailblazer

Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 PM

i noticed this revised PF52 is about a 1/2" shorter in length. and its a lot lighter too. and the inner reinforcement is plastic and not metal like it used to be.....