2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Have to replace radiator. What else should I replace while I'm at it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:11 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I should keep my mouth shut but at my age that's hard too do and Ain't gonna happen.
As I don't seem to have the money to PI$$ off and throw away at unneeded parts just because I'm there.
So for me the radiator and anything that's wore out and needs replaced.
Nothing just because I'm there and can.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by odat
I should keep my mouth shut but at my age that's hard too do and Ain't gonna happen.
As I don't seem to have the money to PI$$ off and throw away at unneeded parts just because I'm there.
So for me the radiator and anything that's wore out and needs replaced.
Nothing just because I'm there and can.
I don't mind hearing a contrasting opinion. Not all situations are the same so it is worth making sure all options are considered.

For my case, I've been considering changing out the water pump since it is 20 years old. I already know the oil cooler hoses are leaking a bit so since I would have to disconnect them anyway, it seemed like a good time to do them.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

Your 20 yo water pump, fan clutch may actually even at that age be better quality than new replacement parts.
Yes I'd fix oil cooler lines while off and anything that needed repaired along with clean / paint / ECT.
My old school theory, replacing parts before their time is the same as replacing
parts before trouble shooting.
Actually I do change my oil and filter before it's time and at the old school 3000 mile point as it's the cheapest maintenance for engine longtivity and life,
Normal life span of a Chevy 6.2 is maxed at 100k my 1983 is at 219k and it's never been touched internally,

Last edited by odat; 02-07-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Hey Christine,
While placing the order for Your new radiator, ask the supplier what type of the connectors come together. For instance, I got a set of connectors for ATF, but haven't receive the connectors for the oil line:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...onnector,13151

You might also want to check the rubber sockets that hold the bottom pins of the radiator. They also do not come in pair with radiator, and may be worth replacing too. Seems the link was given already before:
GL!

EDIT: I went through my emails and I believe I've ordered Denso one.

Last edited by Mike.308; 02-09-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Hey Christine,
While placing the order for Your new radiator, ask the supplier what type of the connectors come together. For instance, I got a set of connectors for ATF, but haven't receive the connectors for the oil line:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...onnector,13151

You might also want to check the rubber sockets that hold the bottom pins of the radiator. They also do not come in pair with radiator, and may be worth replacing too. Seems the link was given already before:

GL!

EDIT: I went through my emails and I believe I've ordered Denso one.
Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up on those parts. I'll be sure to check on what I would need to order.

So for a quick update, since I first reported the leak, I have not seen anymore coolant on the driveway. I'm happy about that but a bit concerned too because I like to know why something happens (or doesn't happen). In this case I don't know if it will fail horribly and surprise me at a bad time. I'll eventually go out and check the total coolant level later today but I'm too comfy on the couch right now to get up and go outside where it is windy and cold.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up on those parts. I'll be sure to check on what I would need to order.

So for a quick update, since I first reported the leak, I have not seen anymore coolant on the driveway. I'm happy about that but a bit concerned too because I like to know why something happens (or doesn't happen). In this case I don't know if it will fail horribly and surprise me at a bad time. I'll eventually go out and check the total coolant level later today but I'm too comfy on the couch right now to get up and go outside where it is windy and cold.

A little heads up on these radiators with plastic tanks. I had a brand new S60R Volvo in 04, after 1 year the plastic tank cracked on the transmission cooler side and the transmission sucked in a bunch of coolant and destroyed it. Under warranty they replaced the transmission but still put in a "plastic tank" radiator.

So, I'm not a huge fan of these plastic tank radiators and only bought one last year due to not researching enough to find an affordable all aluminum. Just something to think about. Sh*t happens.

And, Mike's correct on the cooler line fittings, on my 01 ZR2 the oil cooler line fittings and transmission line fittings are different sizes and you should NOT reuse your old ones under any condition.