2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP! Mutiple issues... Lights, trans, speedometer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Beginning Member
DR_KONG is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! Mutiple issues... Lights, trans, speedometer.

Well to start off my speedometer out of the blue decides to start going crazy jumping around back and forth. But it only does it until i drive it for awhile, then it calms down tremendously and only does it ever so often.

A couple days later my dash parking brake light starts flickering. So i check the fluid and it was low so I topped it off figuring that would take care of that but I was wrong.. still flashing but it also stops or only does it every once in awhile after the truck warms up. Doesnt effect the brakes or anything just still flashes while cold mostly.

So shortly after these 2 things start happening when the truck is cold my transmission starts shifting up and down at the shift points when the speedometer is jumping back and forth. After i drive it for awhile this also stops.

A few days later I stop at the gas station on my way to work and turn my key off and the truck stays running. So I turned the key on and back off a few times and its still running. Finally just sitting there a few seconds later pondering what i could do to shut it off it just shuts off on its own(key off). Releif. So i filler up get back in and drive to work. Get there and try to shut it off again and it stayed running again. Tried the turn it on turn it off thing again and just sit there and still running. Getting almost time to clock in I had to figured something out.. Frustrated I decided to give the steering collum a knee and boom it shut off. So I get off work come back out start it up and shut it off.. shut off fine. Tried it again and it shut off. So i take off and come to the stop sign and turn my right blinker on and it stays solid.. does not flash. So I check the left blinker and its flashing fast. I figured a lights out no big deal. So I get home and check the blinkers and the left side that is flashing fast both work just flash fast. The right front stays solid but couldnt really tell the back casue the headligts were on (4:30 am) so I override the headlights and go to check and the taillights are still on but the headlights are out. Next day had my gf check to see if the brake light make them brighter and she says no but the 3rd taillight goes on and off the other 2 no change.

Please help im flustered with all this happening at once. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 AM
war00 is on a distinguished road

sounds like the multifunction switch is faulty aka turn signal switch. that should fix the turn signal and brake light problem. but before you replace that i would open up the steering colum and check for loose broken wires that could be shorting out and that could also be causing it not to shut down. do you have tilt steering? if soo its common for wires to get pinched in the colum.

the speedo gauge - locate the speedo sensor on the tail stock of the transmission pull it out and clean it up could have metal shavings on it that are affecting the reading. which will also cause the shifting problems

Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member
DR_KONG is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by war00
sounds like the multifunction switch is faulty aka turn signal switch. that should fix the turn signal and brake light problem. but before you replace that i would open up the steering colum and check for loose broken wires that could be shorting out and that could also be causing it not to shut down. do you have tilt steering? if soo its common for wires to get pinched in the colum.

the speedo gauge - locate the speedo sensor on the tail stock of the transmission pull it out and clean it up could have metal shavings on it that are affecting the reading. which will also cause the shifting problems
First off thanks for the reply! Second off I went to the junkyard and got a multi switch and that fixed the brake light and blinker issues. Thank you for the suggestion! But the bad news is I took the vss out and it had some metal shavings stuck to it so I cleaned it and put it back in and the speedo still jumps around and the tranny still shifts up and down at shift points and the (!) brake light on the dash still comes on and goes off every so often only when cold.. once it warms up it all pretty much stop and when the brake light does flash it seems that's when the tranny starts shifting funny.

Should I just try to get a new vss or what else could it be?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Beginning Member
FalconPunch310 is on a distinguished road

Check for AC voltage across the battery. Broken diodes in and alternator can cause some funky problems to happen all at once. happened in my 84 vette all kinds of guage and lights issues all at once. new alt. fixed it

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member
uncle_egg820 is on a distinguished road

ignition switch.