2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

High performance pulleys and makes noise now

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:46 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High performance pulleys and makes noise now

I changed the stock pulleys to jet performance pulleys and now it squells. It is so disturbing after awile. Has any one experienced this and how was it corrected? I like the power but damn the noise is not worth it.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: High performance pulleys and makes noise now

Were the pulleys anodized aluminum? Also, did you replace your belt when you put the pulleys on and if so, what did you replace it with?

Old 01-14-2006, 02:05 PM

I am not sure if there where aluminum might not have been but I replaced the belt with the one the instructions said too.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If they are anodized aluminum, it may take a little while for the anodizing to wear down so the belts can get a good bite. Does the belt seem to have the same tension as the original belt/pulleys?

Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 PM

yeah pretty much the same tension but the pulleys seem to be the same material as the origina

Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Administrator

I guess it is possible that they are powder coated... Where did you get the pulleys from?

Whether painted, powder coated or anodized, they will need some time to bed in. Also, what brand of belt did you put on?

Seeing as how blazers already have an annoying tendancy to squeal the belt... I guess it isn't all that unlikely that it would do it with smaller pulleys as well.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:35 PM

I got them @ truckperformance.com and are Jet. the belt I bought was gates becuase it said the specific gates belt I needed. Is gates a good belt?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Administrator

I'm betting that they are powder coated... Don't know what to tell you.

It may go away, it may not. Gates belts are GOOD belts... Shouldn't be that unless you got one that sat on a shelf for acouple of years and/or was stocked in direct sunlight... I put a gatorback belt on my Bravada. The gatorbacks have a 'tread' on the grooved side of the belt to increase the belts traction much like tread on a tire. My old belt wasn't bad, it just would squeal whenever it got wet. If yours is squealling dry, it could be too short and not getting enough tension, or it could be dried out... I might try taking the belt back saying that it is squealling and have them give you another one. If the new one squeals again, then maybe try one a half inch or so shorter. If you can get it on, then it'll be ok.