2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HOLY ELECTRIC FIRE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Starting Member
JediKnight2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOLY ELECTRIC FIRE

HOLY CRUD!!! I ALMOST just lost my truck! Had I not been a firefighter in a former life and kept calm....my truck would be fully involved right now...BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY this happened.

I bought a new RH electric mirror because it was broken on that side. Detached everything and hooked it all up. Went over to the drivers seat and turned on my ignition to check out if it was working properly. The switch never has worked for either mirror if I used the UP or RIGHT buttons on the mirror controler. I pressed down on the right or top, can't remember now and..POOF white smoke starts coming out....[sm=jawdrop.gif] I calmly lean to the side, grab my flathead screwdriver to pop off the control panel at the same time turning OFF the ignition....popped it off...pulled it out...and JUST as I uncliped the thing it burst into flames!!!! NOW...WHY didn't a fuse blow to begin with on this? Since it didn't...I am assuming it was the switch itself that shorted out somehow???? Question is...is this tied to my new mirror or is this a coincidence and the switch was bad anyway...if that is the case...I AM LUCKY this didn't happen driving down the road!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: HOLY ELECTRIC FIRE

Wow... That doesn't look good. There shouldn't be enough power going through that to cause it to catch fire... What does the fuse look like?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Starting Member

Thats the thing...no blown fuses...wires and wire harness to that switch are all unburnt...usually if there is a short of some kind in the wiring...the wire will melt...in this case it was just the switch which leads me to believe the switch went capoot....I am scared to plut another one in!!! Have to order one anyway....Advance Auto Parts wants 98 bucks for it!!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Starting Member

I just checked every fuse and nothing popped....I pulled off the passenger controls and stuck my nose in there and there is no electric smell so nothing burned in there...I went back and checked the wires and connector for the driver controls and nothing is burned there...I am just shocked that the switch on its own could do that.....I guess it could have shorted out on itself that would have been the ONLY way it could have happened.....is that possible though???????

Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I'd hit up some of the local pick-n-pull yards. Before you put the replacement switch in, I would take a DMM set to continuity and test each lead for continuity to ground (dead short unless it is a ground). Or you could hook up the positive lead on your DMM to +12V, set it to amps and measure the current draw on each circuit (staying away from the ground for obvious reasons).

The circuit should be fused, thus current limited. That it could get hot enough to burn without popping the fuse is difficult to comprehend, but it is a 20A fuse...

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Starting Member

I'm an idiot when it comes to multi meters...but I think I have the basics...I plugged the red into the ohms port...black to COM...turned the dial to 20k Ohms....touched the black to the black on the connector and the red to each one except power...

RESULTS (those are minus symbols)

PIN
B -2.28
C -2.28
D -2.28
E -2.28
F -2.28
G -2.00

This was just with the door open...should I do this with the key in to ACC?

As far as measuting amps....if you can post up where to set the dials...I will test that...I need a crash course in this anyway.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

hmm. Can you see where each wire trace goes on the circuit board to try to narrow down which circuit blew up or is it too burnt?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

I think the thing is crispy...all of the burning took place on the right and top sides of the switch....are those continuity numbers bad?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Starting Member

Another thing I found was this

GM Recalls 570,000 SUVs, Pickups and Vans
Posted 4/28/03 11:30 a.m. CDT. By Associated Press

Detroit — General Motors said Friday it was recalling 570,000 Chevrolet and GMC pickups, vans and sport utility vehicles to repair a mirror control switch in the driver’s door that could cause a fire.

The recall covers 1997-98 Chevrolet and GMC Suburbans, 1997 Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy midsize SUVs, 1998 Chevrolet C/K and GMC Sierra pickups, and 1998 Chevrolet Astro and GMC Safari midsize vans equipped with remote power adjustable mirrors.

In some of the vehicles, a short circuit could allow continuous current flow through the switch, producing enough heat to possibly start an electrical fire in the door.

GM said there have been 67 electrical fires where the mirror control switch was cited as the source. The incidents have resulted in three reported injuries.

About 507,000 of the affected vehicles are in the United States and 46,000 are in Canada. The rest are outside of the United States and Canada.

GM said it will notify owners and instruct them to bring the vehicles to Chevrolet and GMC dealers. A fused jumper harness will be installed for free in the door wiring harness leading to the mirror switch.
However, when I called GM they said there was no recalls for my truck other than a seatbelt thing....OBVIOUSLY that ain't right...

Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Here's a bit more information on that recall #03006:
Recall NHTSA03V0930000 - Outside Electric Mirror Fire Hazard

DEFECT: Under certain conditions, some sport utility vehicles, mini vans, and pickup trucks may develop a short circuit in the electric outside rearview mirror switch. If this happens, it could result in an inoperative switch, heat damage to the driver's door, and/or ignition of components in the driver's door and a subsequent vehicle fire without prior warning.

REMEDY: Dealers will install a fused jumper harness to the electric outside rearview mirror switch. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during April 2003. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, or GMC at 1-800-462-8782.
Vehicles involved (last 8 digits of your VIN):
1997 Chevy Blazer VK100001 through VK250286
1997 GMC Jimmy VK500001 through VK522300

You might also want to call the NHTSA even if you are outside of the VIN window above:
GM RECALL NO. 03006. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Quick Reply: HOLY ELECTRIC FIRE