2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Holy problems....need help big time

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 PM
derrilyktdave is on a distinguished road
Default Holy problems....need help big time

Okay...im sure someone out there has heard of this problem.

fuel guage and temp guage dont work, Battery light is on (just put in new battery)....Reverse lights, front parking lights, and fog lights stay on.....

the exterior lights stay on when truck is running and not running...this happened all of a sudden too....

I have a 99 blazer LT with 69000 miles on it...I checked each and every single fuse under the hood and in the cab....not a one is bad...

any ideas??????

HOPE SO

Old 05-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your 'Security' light doesn't happen to stay on as well? Sounds like an ignition switch problem.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM

no on the security light....the battery light IS on....the fuel guage and the temp guage are out....i took the bulbs out of the reverse lights and the fog lights...so i dont have to unhook the battery everywhere i go.....DRIVING ME NUTS

Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is still possible that it is an ignition switch problem. Using the wiring diagrams in my signature, test the wiring at the main connector under the steering column. You could have a contact in the ignition switch that is broken or fused shut.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM

so ive been going through the net and found that alot of people have had the temp and fuel gauge not working.....the fixes had something to do with ground wires...i took apart the dash and pulled the cluster and found nothing behind it that would help.....perhaps you can help me with that?...

I removed the bulbs from all four lights so that my battery wont drain and i wont have to disc. the battery every night....

I dont need a new cluster do I? that would suck ....hope you can help because i simply cannot afford to take it in....

I have pulled EVERY single fuse, and have found no relief there either. This is really driving me mad. The problem is simply that i dont know enough about automobile wiring....sooooo much packed in there.

Thanks a lot for the advice you have given so far...very much appreciated.

Last edited by derrilyktdave; 05-17-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Your fuel gauge ground is in the back probably attached to the frame or crossmember. It's hot to your sender and the ground runs off that to your frame in the rear. Try to locate a black wire that's bolted to the frame/rear crossmember and clean the contact surfaces.
Your temp gauge grounds through the sender. As the sender heats up the resistance changes and grounds through the sender to the engine block. About the only thing I would do is change it. You can test it by grounding the wire and it should peg the gauge.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartlkk is rarely wrong I would definitely start with the test he suggested above, ignition switch issues do some really strange things to these trucks.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Not saying he is but the grounds are like real easy to check.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:52 PM

okeedokee....sooo, i checked all of the ground wires.....the one on the rear x member is definately corroded. I cant get to redoing it right now..but i will....still worried that its not going to fix my problem...but its a step in the right direction.

Im going to replace the ingnition switch when i get some extra cash.

when the key is in the on and not running position, the prndl light works

I still dont get why my reverse lights and fog lamps would stay on when the car is completely off....

sooooo many electrical problems for a novice...GRRRRRRR

Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM

Its gets better. My automatic lighting doesnt work now....

does it still sound like it is the ignition switch?

Logically it all makes sense. Im going to buy one when i get paid next.

Hope it works....

Thanks guys. Ill let you know if that is the fix.