2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How can I expand wheel wells a litte

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default How can I expand wheel wells a litte

I got some slightly larger tires for my 02 Xtreme and they were rubbing on the rear wheel wells when I went into a full turn, So I got under there with some pliers and bent the metal back. Unfortunately the rubbing was higher than I thought and the bending back of the lower part only made the rubbing worse. I can see some cut marks on the tires (mostly driver side)

Maybe a torch to heat up the metal? I worry that there is some vital part around there and also, even it I got the metal heated up, there is no good point to get leverage to reshape it. I have a angle grinder, is there an issue with cutting the bottom 6-8 inches away?

Looking for some ideas before my brand new tires get trashed!

Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

I've heard of people taking a round smooth object, like the handle of a hammer and hold it on top of the tire just inside the wheel well where you want to "press" the metal out of the way. Have someone put the Blazer in drive and very carefully and slowly, while you hold the round object in place move the Blazer forward and it should give you a good "bend" on the inside of the wheel well.

Just be careful not to get carried away and hurt yourself or the outer wheel well.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I've seen them use aluminum baseball bats against the tires in nascar... on the inner wheel well part, it might be a little harder to do...

Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zenith
I've heard of people taking a round smooth object, like the handle of a hammer and hold it on top of the tire just inside the wheel well where you want to "press" the metal out of the way. Have someone put the Blazer in drive and very carefully and slowly, while you hold the round object in place move the Blazer forward and it should give you a good "bend" on the inside of the wheel well.

Just be careful not to get carried away and hurt yourself or the outer wheel well.

Would you need to get the metal red hot first? Wonder be if a slide hammer could work.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by puttster
Would you need to get the metal red hot first? Wonder be if a slide hammer could work.

??? Red Hot first? No! All you are doing is resting a non sharp object on top of the tire close to the wheel well edge and by rolling the vehicle the solid object is forcing the wheel well area to expand as it rests on top of the tire.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM

.I used the BFH and now it only scrapes sometimes, maybe I will still need some cutting. P.S., On an Xtreme, the point of contact is a good 9" into the wheel well and pretty high.

Last edited by puttster; 01-28-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Tires are grinding more often than I like. I'm afraid it is going to mess the tire up, Any thoughts on issues from cutting out the wheel wells?

Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Question I have is cutting inner wells going to leave sharp edges that will cut tires worse. If so maybe a little more BFH

Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 PM

On the Xtreme (maybe all?) There is some frame metal on the passenger side preventing the wheel well from getting hammered back more than a half inch at most. So if you decide to get slightly oversize tires you have to look carefully at just where the contact is and use the BFH on that spot. That will cure most of the rubbing issue. FYI!

Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

How about some Heavy Duty rear springs to give some lift? Your old springs are probably the original ones that have sagged over the years.

Quick Reply: How can I expand wheel wells a litte