2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I really don't know where to go from here

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member
Daniel Piontek is on a distinguished road
Default I really don't know where to go from here

It all started with the code for a purse valve. P0440 I didn't get the part because I didn't have the cash at the time. Before I could get it, the truck didn't start one morning. No fuel pressure, replaced the pump, )guy helping me jumped top two terminals to fuel pump relay instead of to the prime connector and blew the ecm b fuse he didn't tell me until later) then after new fuel pump, I got great fuel pressure then no spark, new module and coil, great spark. He then tells me about the relay thing, thinking the even got frief, I replaced that, got it fashed, did the whole security relearn thing. That went perfect. Now , it still won't start. I've swapped around relays, checked all the fuses and no start. It cranks hreag just no start. I don't know where to go from here. Truck has 125,000 miles. It is a 2002 blazer Xtreme with a 4.3L automatic transmission. Please help me with this truck. Please......

Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Cranks but wont start?

Lacking fuel or lacking spark, or both?

George

Old 05-24-2018, 11:39 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Back to basics......

Install a fuel pressure gauge - pressure should be 58-60 psi or so when cranking and should hold pressure for some time after key is shut off.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the injection spider and place a noid light across two of the terminals in the connector - should blink when cranking.

Disconnect the coil wire and connect a loose spark plug to the coil with a suitable spark plug wire - ground the spark plug to engine metal with a pair of vice grips - should spark when cranking.

If those three checks are good, pull at least a couple of spark plugs and see if they are wet with gas (flooded engine) and if so how fast gas dries from them (possible water in fuel). Then if engine is not flooded, get a compression gauge and check compression on those cylinders that you removed the spark plugs from. If you have decent compression, hook the coil wire back up to the distributor and move the loose spark plug to the end of one of the plug wires and crank - should have spark when cranking.

Report back when you find something wrong, but do things in order. There, that should get you back on track!

p.s. keep things in the same thread. Don't make a new thread each time you have a question or comment. That way we can see what has been done and what has been said before.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-24-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Just to cover all the bases: Does your security light flash while you're cranking the engine? If no, continue with the suggestions above. If yes then you actually have a security/passlock issue.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Back to basics......

Install a fuel pressure gauge - pressure should be 58-60 psi or so when cranking and should hold pressure for some time after key is shut off.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the injection spider and place a noid light across two of the terminals in the connector - should blink when cranking.

Disconnect the coil wire and connect a loose spark plug to the coil with a suitable spark plug wire - ground the spark plug to engine metal with a pair of vice grips - should spark when cranking.

If those three checks are good, pull at least a couple of spark plugs and see if they are wet with gas (flooded engine) and if so how fast gas dries from them (possible water in fuel). Then if engine is not flooded, get a compression gauge and check compression on those cylinders that you removed the spark plugs from. If you have decent compression, hook the coil wire back up to the distributor and move the loose spark plug to the end of one of the plug wires and crank - should have spark when cranking.

Report back when you find something wrong, but do things in order. There, that should get you back on track!

p.s. keep things in the same thread. Don't make a new thread each time you have a question or comment. That way we can see what has been done and what has been said before.
I work a ton but he'll or high water I will be out there working on it. Thank you, and thank you al for the responses. Truly it ment the world to me to see ppl still give a damn about others these days.
Thank you and I'll report back to this thread for sure

Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Back to basics......

Quick question about the no idea light, will a 12V led bulb work? That's what I used to troubleshoot the module pulses ect

Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Just to cover all the bases: Does your security light flash while you're cranking the engine? If no, continue with the suggestions above. If yes then you actually have a security/passlock issue.
No it doesnt flash

Old 06-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member

It is a 100% fuel related issue. I just gave her a shot of either and she fired right up. I've got to locate a fuel pressure tester for further diagnosis. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again friends

Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Beginning Member

I have 60 or so fuel pressure key on and when cranking

Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

How long does your truck maintain 60PSI after turning the key back off? It needs hit 60PSI when you turn the key to run (not cranking) and to stay above 55PSI for at least 10 minutes after you turn the key off.

Another question: How good is your battery? If the voltage is dropping too much when cranking, that could also affect starting, especially if your fuel pump is older. That was one of the symptoms I had with a weak fuel pump was that when my battery was weak the fuel pump wouldn't supply enough fuel/pressure to start. After I replaced the battery the weak pump would allow the truck to start much easier until I finally replaced that too.

Quick Reply: I really don't know where to go from here