2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition timing issue

Old 02-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer Kid is on a distinguished road
Angry Ignition timing issue

hey i have got this same problem but mine is definitely timing, my crank is TDC and my distributor is pointing at 2, im gonna pull the dist out and check is that wore out but if its my timing chain (which i think it is) should i pull the motor or just work on it in the bay. its a 2002 blazer ls 4x4 222k miles

Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If DTC P1345 is NOT in memory, the distributor is installed correctly. Extremely rare for 4.3L timing chains to fail, (jump time or break). There is a way to check the slack, without engine disassembly, if it becomes necessary.

What symptoms are you having? Does the engine start and run?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Beginning Member

no codes, cranks and cranks for days, just short of killing the battery. like i said dist is pointing at 2 when crank is tdc and no codes whatsoever

Old 02-16-2016, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member

get a little backfiring from the throttle body but none out the tailpipe

Old 02-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

#1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke every other revolution of the crankshaft: Once on the exhaust stroke, once on the compression stroke, alternating. When #1 piston is at TDC compression, the crankshaft dampener will be lined up like this:

AND, the rotor will look like this:

Not sure what you mean by "2". There is a "6" on the distributor housing, no number two.

Attached Thumbnails Ignition timing issue-43lvortecfinding1tdc-copy.jpg   Ignition timing issue-334555.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

number 2 contact in the cap that says to ignite cylinder 2 its pointing there when tdc is set via the crank

Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 PM

The rotor must point to the "6" on the distributor housing when #1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke. Has the distributor been removed lately?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Beginning Member

let me go see exactly its pointing in relation to the 6, no im pretty sure its never been removed

Old 02-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member

according to your picture of the distributor my rotor is pointing at the screw hole for mounting left of the 6 about an inch and a half, at TDC of course

Old 02-16-2016, 05:51 PM

That's a problem. Can you tell if the distributor hold down bracket has been modified? In other words, if you loosen the distributor hold down, can you rotate the distributor? If you can not rotate the distributor, and you're absolutely positive that the distributor has not been removed, there are only 3 possibilities left: #1. the distributor gear has worn and jumped a tooth on the camshaft gear. #2. the outer ring on the dampener has broken loose and spun on the hub. #3. the timing chain has jumped a tooth, (possible, but not likely).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition timing issue