Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Lift Kit on a 4door Blazer LS (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/lift-kit-4door-blazer-ls-98481/)

go chevy 12-31-2018 07:02 PM

Lift Kit on a 4door Blazer LS

Anyone know how much money it might cost for a Suspension and or Body lift on a 98 Blazer 4x4 LS??? I have always wanted a lift but not sure if it is really worth the money and does it make the truck real top heavy on curves and highway speed...

christine_208 12-31-2018 07:47 PM

I have my lift thread in my .sig below. You might use it as a start on pricing items. I did not use the full Rough Country 2.5" lift kit as I did not want to remove and then reinstall my front axle.

Off the top of my head, a couple years ago I think I paid about $250 for the upper control arms. The other items were not very expensive, e.g. the shackles, etc. What was expensive was upgrading to the larger tires which, no surprise, are more expensive than the stock ones. :)

As for how it drives; it is fine. I don't notice any difference in stability. With the lift, I am at the edge of the range of adjustment for some of the front-end components.

Something I would recommend if not done already, is to replace the inner CV axle boots with the neoprene style. These are much more flexible than the old ones which I had slip off the inside lip. It is actually very easy thing to replace and is worth doing with the front end all apart. This will prevent you from losing all of the CV axle grease and then having the axles joints fail.

cleburne red 12-31-2018 07:57 PM

I just completed a 6" suspension lift on mine. Between the lift, new rims (need less backspacing for bigger tires) and the tires, I'm about $2500 into it. Still need an alignment ($100) and some minor exhaust work done, where I had to cut it

There are probably cheaper options for tires. The 33x10.50 super swampers were almost $300/each. And if you hunt around, I'm sure you could find rims for cheap

Can't give a review of the driving characteristics yet. Haven't gotten the alignment done, and the steering is all wonky right now

Hess13x 01-01-2019 01:39 AM

What are you wanting to do with your truck? Off road? Mall crawlwr? S serious are tough to lift for most people. Tire size? We need some more information

Mike.308 01-01-2019 05:10 PM

Here's my post on 2" body lift i did of polyurethane shafts cut into pads:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/off-ro...15/#post693428
Cost? Vastly time spend. Other costs are about $100 for polyurethane and about $15 for M12 bolts of appropriate class.

Ah, on You question of the highway speed, let me be more clear. The higher the ride is, the more fuel it will consume. Kinda, like other asked, depending what You really expecting to get. After the body lift mine is significantly better for off road escapades like visiting bunker from WWII, fishing, hunting. And definitely not as good as it was before as a family car for a distant highway cruising. Also, by a lift (especially a suspension one) You bring the mass center higher above the ground - that is important while hard turns.

go chevy 01-01-2019 08:07 PM

Honestly I want it for looks rather than actual use, mudding, rock climbing ect... I also can't really do the work myself, I will have too take it too an off road kinda shop too have the work done... I am already thinking I just better leave her stock lol from some of the prices on parts I am seeing lol...

cleburne red 01-01-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by go chevy (Post 700515)
Honestly I want it for looks rather than actual use, mudding, rock climbing ect... I also can't really do the work myself, I will have too take it too an off road kinda shop too have the work done... I am already thinking I just better leave her stock lol from some of the prices on parts I am seeing lol...

Why can't you do the work yourself? Turning wrenches ain't hard. As long as you have the tools and a place to work on it, of course. Also helps to have something else to drive while you do the work.

Took me about a week to install my 6" lift. Of course, during the week I only messed with it a little after work each day.

go chevy 01-01-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 700516)
Why can't you do the work yourself? Turning wrenches ain't hard. As long as you have the tools and a place to work on it, of course. Also helps to have something else to drive while you do the work.

Took me about a week to install my 6" lift. Of course, during the week I only messed with it a little after work each day.

Where I live we have an Ordinance on vehicle repair in your driveway believe it or not... You can get away with simple things, tire change, oil change ect, but something like this would be "forbidden, frowned upon"..... I have a single car garage but it is packed too the roof, not kidding here, with my youngest sons stuff while he is over seas...

christine_208 01-02-2019 12:57 AM

If you are more interested in the looks, perhaps just considering new rims and tires would be a good option; there will be no mods the vehicle and for road use the tires could make it drive better.

cleburne red 01-02-2019 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by go chevy (Post 700524)
Where I live we have an Ordinance on vehicle repair in your driveway believe it or not... You can get away with simple things, tire change, oil change ect, but something like this would be "forbidden, frowned upon"..... I have a single car garage but it is packed too the roof, not kidding here, with my youngest sons stuff while he is over seas...

Yeah, no lift kits in your future, unless you have a shop do it. I doubt that would be cheap, also
​​​