Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

How high?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Gmarecki is on a distinguished road
Default How high?

I have a 99 Blazer, and I'd like to know how high I can lift the front end using just the torsion bars? If anybody knows that would help alot. I also need to know how hard it is to do a body lift. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gmarecki
I have a 99 Blazer, and I'd like to know how high I can lift the front end using just the torsion bars? If anybody knows that would help alot. I also need to know how hard it is to do a body lift. Thanks.
I did about a 1.5" to 2" lift (see below) with the torsion bars and with new longer shackles in the back. But stories of upper ball joints wearing out prematurely had me also install new upper control arms that would compensate for the new angle due to the lift. The ones I used were from the Rough Country 2.5" lift kit since there was no other modifications necessary to install them. I could have installed 31" tires but they would have rubbed the frame when the steering was hard-over. Also with 31s people tended to have to modify their fender wells a bit.

Looking at my truck you cannot tell it has much of a lift but I did not do it for looks. Rather I did it for a bit more peace of mind when I'm crawling around off pavement.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Gmarecki is on a distinguished road

Thank you, that helps. I'm looking for a bit more height. Mud gets pretty deep around here and the people I off-road with drive Jeeps.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You`ll be replacing suspension parts soon, ask me how I know

Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

^ yep yep.

Broken ball joints, CV's blown apart, etc. Was replacing them on a regular basis.
Save your self some money in the long run and buy a actual lift kit. And like Christine said, if you are going to go torsion lift, buy the kit with control arms, keys, and diff drop bracket so you aren't changing parts out every week

Old 07-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Ez to say :P I've been looking for Rough Country suspension lift sets and R.C does not sell abroad. There are some ebay offers with insane prices. like $1k+$1k2 for shipping only. Despite we have a "representative" of R.C in Poland, they haven't answer my quotation request till now.
Just my 3 cents, as I guess OP is from my country

Oh, I can share my experience with doing a body lift. I did not go for a stock one (summit racing), as they are not polyurethane.
Things You're going to need for 2" body lift:
  • polyurethane pads 80mm diameter x 50mm high, inner hole 14mm 12 pieces
  • screws with washers M12x150 12 pieces
  • polyamide pads 30mm diameter x 50mm high, inner hole 10 or 12, don't actually remember for lifting the front bumper
  • a piece of a rubber hose to extend the fuel tank inlet 2" inner diameter
  • a blue LocTite 243 for M12 bolt threads
What You have to do is to:
  • take off the front bumper
  • take off the rear bumper
  • remove towing hooks
  • remove the metal clip that holds the brake pipes, located on the frame at the driver's side (under the ABS pump)
  • detach the fuel tank inlet mount by removing three screws
  • detach the clamps holding the pipes on both sides of the oil pan (driver's side for the engine lub oil, other side - tranny oil)
  • the plastic clips that holds the wires that goes to a crank shaft sensor and the starter have to be opened
  • (i guess that would be all)
  • untighten the body mounting screws
  • lever up the body evenly with caution, I might forget of sth. above.
There are some things that won't match while assembling the body:
  • tranny oil pipes may interfere with a cooling fan and probably retaining clip at the oil pan won't match. I've tighten the clip to hold the lower pipe only.
  • bottom of the cooling fan shroud will not match either. I've trimmed the plastic.
  • the rear bumper mounting brackets will be mislocated. I've taken them out, the bottom hole went to a higher bolt and I've drilled another hole to bring them higher.
  • not only the front bumper will interfere towing hooks, but also the frame. I've trimmed the plastic of a bumper.
Later on, once completed, the 30x9.5 tires are a must You are going to be surprised how lifting the body helps with an access to pretty everything. I really encourage You for the body lift.

Last edited by Mike.308; 07-28-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member
MadMerritt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevyriders
^ yep yep.

Broken ball joints, CV's blown apart, etc. Was replacing them on a regular basis.
Save your self some money in the long run and buy a actual lift kit. And like Christine said, if you are going to go torsion lift, buy the kit with control arms, keys, and diff drop bracket so you aren't changing parts out every week
Im in West Australia & have a 99 LS Blazer. its had a torsion lift already.
Can i buy (& where from) just the RC upper control arms & diff drop brackets?