2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Long trip in 14 year old Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long trip in 14 year old Blazer?

I am looking at going on a road trip this summer. It will about 800 miles one way, probably looking to put on 2000 miles. I would considering taking my 2003 Chevy Blazer, now 14 years old with 133,000 miles. I tried to keep after things that would prevent break downs. What your take. Is it up to the task? Things I should look for?

Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Mine is 17 years old and has over 270,000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a road trip...

except down south in the summer. A/C has been out for a while and I'm not fixing it as I don't need it where I live.

As long as maintenance has been kept up and the are no problems I say go for it.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Suggest doing a good check for any coolant leaks around water pump and radiator, hoses, etc. When was last time brake pads were checked? Tires? How about the serpentine belt....age of it?

My '02 has just 137k on it and I would drive it across the USA except be cheaper to rent something that got better fuel mileage.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road

I've taken mine on multiple 600 mile one way trips to college last school year with no problems and will do it all over again this year. Half of these trips were in the snow with 4WD on for a good portion. It has never left me stranded in the cold or showed any signs of struggle.

Check the oil and coolant levels, take a look at the brake pads, maybe check the trans fluid if you haven't in a while. If that car hasn't given you problems yet it won't likely do so out of the blue (likely is not a guarantee, **** happens).

Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

we always take my 1990 silverado with 220k on it anytime we go anywhere far. the wife has a 02 liberty with 90k on it and that thing has way more issues then mine, last time we took it on a 300 mile one way trip the radiator cracked halfway back, and anyone who has ever changed one of those they are not the easiest. if that happened to my chevy i would have just changed it in a parking lot with a socket set and pair of pliers

Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Suggest doing a good check for any coolant leaks around water pump and radiator, hoses, etc. When was last time brake pads were checked? Tires? How about the serpentine belt....age of it?

My '02 has just 137k on it and I would drive it across the USA except be cheaper to rent something that got better fuel mileage.
Water pump and hoses are still original. I have not seem any coolant leak dropping from my vehicle. So I should check that out. We have annual state inspection, so the brake pads and tires get checked every year. The rear brake dust shields are rusted, but I don't see that will lead to a show stopper failure. The radiator was replaced when it had around 83000 miles on it. Serpentine belt, idler pulley, and alternator were replace around 107000 miles.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Is there any brown , rusty looking build up in the radiator? That can be a sign of the Dex Cool and green coolant having a bad reaction in the rad. Have you had the IM gasket replaced with the upgrade Fel Pro IM gasket set? I would suggest a spare serp. belt and necessary tools to change it. Another essential is a proper floor jack and lug wrench, not the standard issue GM one. A breaker bar from HFT is a bargain and a wonderful tool to have, esp. if the tires and rims were last installed with a air wrench! A full tune up with AC Delco or Delphi parts. Don't forget the O 2 sensors. Other than routine maintenance, you should be good to go. Good luck on the trip!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

My truck is older than that, but my other cars are about that age. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them on a road trip like that, but I keep mine well maintained though.

If you are genuinely concerned or crunched for time, get a rental. No bid deal.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Is there any brown , rusty looking build up in the radiator? That can be a sign of the Dex Cool and green coolant having a bad reaction in the rad. Have you had the IM gasket replaced with the upgrade Fel Pro IM gasket set? I would suggest a spare serp. belt and necessary tools to change it. Another essential is a proper floor jack and lug wrench, not the standard issue GM one. A breaker bar from HFT is a bargain and a wonderful tool to have, esp. if the tires and rims were last installed with a air wrench! A full tune up with AC Delco or Delphi parts. Don't forget the O 2 sensors. Other than routine maintenance, you should be good to go. Good luck on the trip!
To answer your question. No green coolant was ever added to the Dex-Cool. IM gasket was replaced, but don't know what gasket, told it was really good one. Serpentine belt replaced 2.5 years. Full tune up at 55000 miles. O2 sensors at 43000 miles.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

When was transmission fluid/filter last changed?
Any tire wear problems? How is the spare tire? (I know the one I have is original, 15 yrs old!!!...I have got to get a replacement)
How does it run/drive? Have someone else drive it, you ride, get their comments.