2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Perplexing starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Starting Member
Lightndattic is on a distinguished road
Default Perplexing starting problem

I've been reading through threads describing other peoples' experiences where the engine won't crank, but haven't found a thread that matches my situation that I need help on.

2 Weeks ago we replaced the head gaskets on a 1995 4 Door Blazer, 4.3 Vortec, Automatic. We get everything put back together with minimal fuss until we try to start it to correct any timing issues, check for leaks, etc.

With a fully charged battery, we cranked it over 4-5 times (4-5 seconds each time), but couldn't get it to catch. No problem, we start adjusting the distributor.

Then it wouldn't crank at all.

Adjust the distributor back to where it was and try again. Still nothing. No solenoid clicking, nothing at all. Still get 12+ volts at the instrument cluster, other electrical works, etc.

Replace battery with stronger, deep cycle battery. Still nothing.

We went over all the electrical lines to the starter looking to see if we burned up the fusable link, etc, but it's clean. There are no frayed wires shorting out either.

I unbolt the starter and tell a friend to crank the engine. The starter fires off as normal. Bolt it back into place and it cranks 1 time. On the second try, nothing.

We replaced the starter solenoid and re-installed taking care to tighten the wires down securely. It cranked 3 times then nothing. Unbolted starter again, cranked it while unbolted (it fired off as it should have), bolted it back into place and again got 1 crank from it.

We tried using jumper cables to another truck just to see if the battery wasn't giving enough juice even though it's been on a charger fir 2 days and shows a full charge on it. Still nothing when jumping it.

What would possibly give intermittent cranking like this? We're to the point of having to take it to a garage to see what can be done with it, but wanted to see if I could tap everyone's brains and see if this was something anyone else has experienced and fixed already.

Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Beginning Member
charlietuna is on a distinguished road

just a guess. could it have something to do with the theft deterent system? if 96 has it. ive heard of people having problems when swapping motors. but usually dont crank at all. plus thats a ecm issue anyways i think. very wierd situation. maybe try a ecm reset? just trying to get some storming started atleast..good luck