2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My New 1998 Chevy Blazer 2dr

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:33 AM
thanser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My New 1998 Chevy Blazer 2dr

OK, not new. Used. But I love this thing. It's in remarkable condition.

It needs a little TLC, but other than that, it's in great shape with 150k on it. I had to take it in to get the encoder replaced to switch between 2 and 4wd, which set me back $700.00. Ouch!

A few things to fix:

The Service Engine Soon light came on the first week I had it, and now it's off. Anyone have this happen? Take it in and have the codes checked? What causes an intermittent Service Engine Soon light?

Next: a nasty, annoying squeak in the right-rear suspension. I'm assuming it's the suspension, and not the rear seat, or something inside. What could cause a dry, high-pitched squeak when I drive normally?

I need new speakers! I see six possible speakers in this vehicle - two in the rear, two on the doors, and two on the top of the dash. But only the passenger side is working! Did they deliver these vehicles with only two speakers installed, when you could get a total of six? I haven't pulled out any speaker grills yet, but I'm just wondering why onlyu two of them work.

I need a passenger side kick-panel, in dark gray. Mine's got a l long split running up it (it looks like hell). Any suppliers online for a part like this?

The driver seat is a wreck, too. Who ever owned it must have been extremely heavy - the seat is wasted. One of the handles is broke off, a **** on the side turns free, the seat position handle is froze, the fabric seams are split, and it's dropping foam, too. You can see how mashed down the left edge of the seat is. Have the dealer order a replacement? Find one used? Have it rebuilt locally? Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My New 1998 Chevy Blazer 2dr

The SES light could be as simple as not tightening down your gas cap enough or over filling the tank. GM vehicles are finicky that way.

The squeak... Well, good luck with it. If it has air-assist shocks on the rear, it is possible that the air 'bladder' is squeaking on the inside of the shock housing as the suspension works, but... You could have someone ride in the rear of the truck while you drive (or someone drive while you ride in the rear) to really pinpoint the location of the squeak. If it is enough to be annoying inside the cabin, then I'd bet that it is on an interior panel somewhere.

If only the passenger side speakers are working, then you've either got the balance adjusted (easy fix) or the stereo has dropped the L channel... It is possible that it is a wiring problem, but to only affect one side... I'm skeptical to say the least. Try to adjust the balance on the stereo, if that doesn't work, then pull the stereo and check the wiring connectors on the back to make sure that they are fully seated. Still only one side, well then you may have to look into a new deck.

For kick panels and replacement seats, either eBay which you can sometimes get some pretty damn good deals, or your local auto recyclers. By now, there are quite a few S10 based vehicles at the wrecking yards and you should be able to pick up the peices you require at a fraction of what the dealer or your local appolstry (sp?) shop would charge.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also need some kick panels (the part just under the door) they are both scratched, and remarkably, thats the only place on the car that is scratched, and its pretty bad, and on both sides, wow. I'm not into ebay, but i do like the junk yard option though, because i have a really good body guy, and he would paint it for free, so that's a benefit. Does anybody know of any online possibilities? Thanks. Buy the way, it's upholstery. don't feel bad, my mom's a seamstress, thats the only way i know.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've been an ebayer for years (joined in '95 I think) and have always had great experiences, but I choose my sellers carefully.
I'd rather do the local yard thing too. So wait, are we talking about the sill plate (plastic) or the rocker panel (metal)... Or do you have the ground effects (plastic) over the rocker panel?

To be 100% correct, it's Upholstery (one p). I just sounded it out last night, plus I had half a bottle of J.Beam in me at the time as well.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:27 PM

Wait a minute...the kick panel. Do I have that term correct?

I'm not talking about anything on the door, I'm refering to the little plastic panel next to your feet, on the side, below the dash. So it would be FORWARD of the door. Inside, not outside.

It's only a little square of plastic, maybe 12"x12", but it has a slight curve to it. I thought that was the kick panel? I could be wrong.

Regardless, I need to replace the right-hand side, cheaply, in dark gray.

My SES light came back on last night, too. This might turn out to be a real pain.

Also, I have to unload the brand new snow tires that were on it. I sound like a semi coming down the road, and it's a little too firm of a ride for me.

Thanks,

Tom Hanser

Old 12-04-2005, 06:50 PM
jinx_walker is an unknown quantity at this point

just get a code reader and read the codes....

we have a code reader and i understand how to manually force it to give the code and clear the codes

Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM

I can't even find the plug- interface on this vehicle. They used to be under the dash, below the steering column.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

scanner port is still under the dash below the steering column, unless the pervious owner moved it somehow.

Try LMC on-line for that kicker panel. LMC Truck

Congrats on teh nused truck.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I've been an ebayer for years (joined in '95 I think) and have always had great experiences, but I choose my sellers carefully.
I'd rather do the local yard thing too. So wait, are we talking about the sill plate (plastic) or the rocker panel (metal)... Or do you have the ground effects (plastic) over the rocker panel?

To be 100% correct, it's Upholstery (one p). I just sounded it out last night, plus I had half a bottle of J.Beam in me at the time as well.
I'm talkin about the rocker panel. I noticed today that it is a lot bigger than i first thought, and that it is pretty well pointless to replace it, by myself anyway. I have had good experience with ebay too, you got it right, just choose your sellers wisely. Nice job on the Jim beam by the way.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Administrator

I'm normally a SoCo guy when I'm drinkin' the stuff on the rocks, but Beam was on the menu so I just went with it... LOL

Quick Reply: My New 1998 Chevy Blazer 2dr