2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Nasty coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nasty coolant leak

Well I have a really bad coolant leak somewhere I cant see. checked the upper and lower rad hoses and they seemed dry........I can only see coolant on the right side of the rad......left was dry.

Theres fins on the rad that had some sitting on it.....but I couldnt see a leak anywhere around it. But its dripping underneath the truck pretty bad, like dripping off the skid plateting. Is there something I cant see that is notorious for failure?

I topped up the res yesterday and its already half gone!
do these rads go easily or is it more likely a hose i cant see, its pretty tight in there. And if i do need a new rad is it going to be an arm and a leg like every other repair on these trucks?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nasty coolant leak

The rads in these trucks don't go bad usually, but if the fins were folded over and crap was allowed to buildup... That mostlikely rotted out the radiator and caused your leak. Best to source a new radiator and move on. It isn't all that difficult to replace.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran

yep, the plastic siding of the rad, on the right side is cracked

anyone have a rough idea what ones worth new? guess I have some phone calls to make in the morning.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran

well I have an appoinment for monday and $450 later it will be fixed......

Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member
hogspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy or renta radiator pressure tester (you might be able to rent one from Pep Boys or Autozone). By pressurizing the system, it'll force the coolant out of the leaking area. Be sure to top the system up with water/coolant fro testing purposes.

I would guess that your waterpump is leaking. The is a weephole under the impeller that drains coolant when the seal is going...

Old 07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

He said that the tank was cracked... Seems like the source of the leak to me?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Beginning Member
hogspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

I missed the second post confirming that he found a crack.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

<Blazinloud>
New Radiator's for your truck are about $120.00 Shipped to your door,
$450.00 seems a bithigh to me...

Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran

oh! thats $450 for everything, sorry......the rad was $270+tax with a life time warranty and $130 for install then + fluid and misc. parts.

My engine gets a little hotter than it should prolly cuz it cant fully pressurize. but never gets to 100*C+

And I checked the water pump and the weep hole.....all was dry....
my drivers side wheel well is completly soaked after a drive......

I've just been adding water to it........

Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if ya need a temp fix in the mean time and if its accessibleyou can attempt to jbweld the hole shut or they make this other stuff (cant remember what its called for the life of me) that comes as a stick that you can apply to cover the hole that designed to seal things like this and gas tanks. Works pretty ok in the short term and should cover ya for now till ya can get it in the shop.

Sux that ya sprung a leak thought but hey, stuff happens.

Quick Reply: Nasty coolant leak