2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help! Blazer keeps stalling / dieing randomly????

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
Badmonkey32 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help! Blazer keeps stalling / dieing randomly????

I need help, i have a 97' 4x4 blazer w/ 160k, and it keeps stalling on me when the engine is cold usually. There is no ses light, no codes. New plugs and wires, cant figure it out! Help

Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Have you replaced the distributor cap & rotor? These engines are real fussy when it comes to ignition parts, AC Delco should be used, especially spark plugs, cap & rotor. What brand of plugs did you install? Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member

No i have not replaced cap and rotor, autolite plugs and no i have not checked the fuel pressure yet.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member

If the cap and rotor were bad then it would misfire and throw a code up wouldnt it?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Badmonkey32
If the cap and rotor were bad then it would misfire and throw a code up wouldnt it?
not always. when it stalls does it start right back up? do all your gauge indicator(abs, brake etc) lights go out when it stalls?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, it starts up right away and idles high at about 2000 rpm for a bit the goes back to normal. All of those lighys turn on, radio stays on

Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the SES light works, (comes on with bulb check) and no DTC's in memory, it limits the possibilities. Fuel pressure is not monitored by the OBDII system and can not turn the SES light on when there's a problem. Doing a fuel pressure and leakdown test would be the first place to start looking for problems along with checking the fuel filter for restriction. If all that checks out ok, another place to look is the ignition switch, (not the lock cylinder). 1997 is known for problems with the switch and depending on the problem with it, DTC's may or may not be set. There is a thread on the forum titled "Anatomy of the ignition switch", a search will locate it and there is also a link to it in Kyles signature.

Fuel pressure & leakdown:
Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and it must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Most auto parts stores rent/sell pressure testers and the test takes about 15 minutes to do. The test covers several things so if it fails either part, it does not tell what the problem is, only that a problem exists and further testing is necessary to pinpoint the problem.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member

Ok sounds good, i will run those tests on it soon. Fuel filter is new, and i have never changed the fuel pump in it

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Beginning Member

Here i uploaded this video, hopefully it might help.
This is exactly what it is doing.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I wanna say its the pump. Do a pressure check though first.

Quick Reply: Need help! Blazer keeps stalling / dieing randomly????