2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New Here, owner of a 1996 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member
IIFAST4U is on a distinguished road
Default New Here, owner of a 1996 Chevy Blazer

Hey all just signed up today! I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer 4dr 4wd automatic that was my dad's before he passed away a few months ago! My mom tried using it and it broke down on her! We had it towed to my home and Ive been playing around with it.

I also made some mistakes already I think! My older brother had looked at it before me and said it was the fuel pump! I tried to start it a few times and had no fuel at the engine! I dropped the tank, the top of the tank was rotted out! picked up a new tank, pump and vent. I put the tank up in place today (had to change plug) and I turned the ignition on and could not hear the new pump? I found a bad fuse and replaced that! now I have not connected the fuel lines yet! I was just trying to see if the pump would actually work! how long will the pump stay on with the ignition in the "on" position not cranking the engine? Of course here is where I screwed up I NEVER TESTED FOR POWER BEFORE DOING ALL THIS WORK!!!!

so I have no garage and I am in RI, it started to rain pretty good so I stopped troubleshooting for now. This is more of a project truck than I needed vehicle so any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Shawn Sprague

Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

There are about a billion threads on here covering the problematic fuel system these trucks have! Search, search, search!

But to answer your question, without the engine running, the pump will only run for about two seconds when the key is turned. There is a test connection for the fuel pump under the hood on the driver side inner fender. Connect it to 12v to energize the pump. Comes in handy to empty the tank before dropping it!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I've been reading them and thats why I did not ask about the relay as I already swapped it with the horn and did that test, I know the grey wire is my 12Volt wire, I know the purple wire goes to the PCM. I just did not know about the time it stays on or where the wire is under the hood! so Thanks for the info! I will have to wait for dry weather now but no rush!

Shawn

Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1995 & older have a red test wire under the hood for activating the pump. No test connector on 1996 or 1997. 1998 and newer have an empty terminal in the underhood fuse panel for activating the fuel pump. On your 1996, when you initially turn the ignition to the RUN position, (engine off) the pump is activated for ~2 seconds and then shuts off. The pump is activated continuously in the START position. You can remove the starter relay and have an assistant hold the ignition in the START position while you check for voltage at the pump.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

^learn something new everyday! I assumed his '96 would be the same as my' 95, but looks like it isn't! So many small changes over the years.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1996 was the first year of fully compliant OBDII. Lotta changes from 1995 to 1996

Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Beginning Member

Thank You! if the weather clears tomorro I will have to try it!

Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

I have voltage going to the new pump! now I just have to get it primed time for more searching! of course Battery is dead so thats on the charger now!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM

If you have questions, just ask. Keep us posted on the progress.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member

OK so I had the truck running yesterday!! had very little gas in it but she was up and running! I had attempted to get the very very rusted off fuel filter out but it was shot! Because I had worked on the filter I went out to start the truck and the filter was leaking!! not from the fitting but it was from the end of the filter itself. Cut the lines put an inline filter in with fuel line.

So filter is in and now I am not getting fuel again Gas gauge is working and shows about an 1/8 of a tank! I cannot get at the wires to test for voltage without dropping the tank a few inches at least WTF..... any tips? I did check the relays and still will not work!

Quick Reply: New Here, owner of a 1996 Chevy Blazer