2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new to site,,,help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 PM
tonkpils is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to site,,,help!!!!!

ok here is the deal. i bought a 98 blazer a few days ago. i took everything out of my old car and took it to the installer so they could install it and an alarm(WITHOUT REMOTE START). ok last night they installed everything but my door speakers. everything was working fine even the alarm. today i take it up there to have the door speakers put in. the car is running as they pull it out of the shop to get my sirius working. they pull it back in and cut it off,,,,the security light comes on the car wont start. call a mechanic and he automatically said your passlock took a **** on ya. call the place where i bought it and he says it isnt his problem that the stereo shop screwed it up? is that even possible seeing as the passlock is located in the ignition cylinder?[/align]

Old 12-21-2007, 08:18 PM
GerryRig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: new to site,,,help!!!!!

Does it have a chip in the key? If so the there is a module in the dash by the radio.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 PM

nope,,i dont see a chip in the key

Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

You DO have the passlock system in your truck (98 was the first year for passlock in the blazer platform). The wires are at the column, a yellow, white and orange w black stripe(they will be together and are about 20 gauge wires), and will be probably be wrapped up in tape with the ignition harness). I would take out the four (I think) screws on the bottom of the actual steering column and make sure that they are intact.The wires will go to a spot directly next to the ignition switch. Then, drop the knee bolster on drivers side and trace those three wires back to the bcm. To do this, you will need to take one 7mm screw out above the cluster, and unsnap the dash bezel. Then, there are two 7mm screws exposed at the top of the knee bolster on each side of the column. then two or three 7mm screws ont he bottom edge of the knee bolster. The passlock wires do not go beside the radio as they do majority of the cars.

Check those wires out and let us know. Passlock systems do go bad. If they were putting an alarm in (without remote start) they would have no reason to touch the passlock wires, and they would only need to wires at the ignition harness (12v constant and accessory)

Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 PM

see thats what im saying,,i have had the car just a few days and where i bought it is blaming it on the install,,that cant be it

Old 12-21-2007, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I have seen lots of passlock systems go bad. the only way that they could have damaged the passlock system was to pull off the column or cut the wires.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 PM

ok thanks,,hopefully pretty soon i will have my blazer back and take some pics. pretty nice audio in there,,lol

Old 12-22-2007, 06:35 PM

ok truck is fixed. believe it or not it was a fuse under the hood,,crazy i tell ya

Old 12-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it was something so simple! Thanks for the follow up. When you get a chance, could you detail which fuse that it was?

If you don't mind, I'm going to move this thread into the 2nd Gen Tech forum. This will allow you to do a proper introduction thread in the New Member Area.

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Quick Reply: new to site,,,help!!!!!