2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

no heat, I have read other posts

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:47 PM
pigmak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no heat, I have read other posts

Whats up everyone. I am new to this forum. I am really not a car guy. I do my own oil and brakes and such, but thats it. I have an 01 xtreme. So my heat is not currently working right and being in Chicago, I know the cold is about to come. If anyone has any help to offer please do. So what I know is this: For the most part there is no heat, occasionally i do get some warm air. My temp gauge stays steady after it heats up. I checked all fuses, have coolant, and somewhat checked the vacuum line, seems ok. Where should I start? The hot to cold **** seems really loose, but when I change it from cold to hot I hear ac go off. So from what I read it could be the heater core. Or I read I should flush out the lines. Can anyone help, how do I flush it out. What do I flush? I feel like an idiot, but I cannot really afford to take it somewhere and would love to figure this out. I really do not know what I am looking at or for or what to do. Is there an easy way to explain or show me how to flush whatever out? And if I do should I do away with the dexcool, as I read someone else did, since my warranty is up? Please help, I just dont want to mess it up more by pulling wrong lines. What am I looking for? Anyone? Thank you so much.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: no heat, I have read other posts

What you should try first is reverse flush the heater core. Just did this to my Blazer last weekend. What you need to do is to put a garden hose to the outlet side of the heater core (3/4" smaller hose) first to flush out the clog that is in the core.

What I did is to purchase two small sections of heater hose and some garden hose ends for 3/4-5/8 garden hose. Then I removed the heater hoses at the firewall and connected my "flush kit" hoses to the heater core. Then I connected the garden hose to the outlet side (3/4") hose and watched until the water runs clear, usually you will get a blast of rust and water (if it is clogged most likely is), then it will run clear. When it is clear then switch the garden hose to the other side and run it until it is clear, do this a couple of times to make sure that all the rusty material is gone. Then I will take and blow through the hoses to clear out any water that is left behind, how you do this I will leave up to your logic and safety, I just cup my hand on the hose so that my lips don't get wet...then reconnect the heater hoses and remove radiator cap. Then run your engine to operating temperature (thermostat opens) watch the tank for fluid movement and fill to top, put cap back on and tighten, remove and check the tank a couple of times to remove any trapped air that might happen since the heater core is the highest point in the system it has a tendency to trap air which is what causes most of the clogs of the heater cores for the s-series. After doing that a couple of times filling the tank as needed, check the overflow tank and fill it as needed for hot running and you should be golden....

Old 11-24-2006, 03:51 PM

Alright, like i said I am clueless. So my heater core lines run from the firewall? Why cant I find them. They should be on the passenger side right? Do i need to jack it up to get to them? My vacuum line is on the driver side.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:28 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

look... this should help you out.... i took this pic from the front of my truck with the hood up..... those are the hoses that run into your heater core......

I flushed mine with an average garden hose and nozzle... I just removed both hoses and shot water through the outlet on the right to back flush it until the water ran clear... then I reversed the water flow... did this a couple of times and now my heat works like a dream.... it will take you no more than 20-30 minutes.....

Old 11-24-2006, 06:43 PM

You guys are great, this site rules. First off thanks to 20Blazer00 for guiding me the right way. Thank you A_tack for taking the time to take a pic for a newbie like me. Believe it or not i found the hoses before I saw the pic, but many thanks for the pic. So I disconnected both hoses and ran the garden hose through the core. Not much came out other than orange. I ran it through both ways til it was clear water. I hooked the hoses back up, checked coolant level, warmed her up and BAM heat. I am so elated to have heat. I went for a drive and almost sweated to death. MY heat has not been this hot in a long time. You guys saved me much time and money. Hopefully the heat holds up throught the Chicago winter. I honestly have not had heat in about a year. I have been looking around online for weeks. This forum helped me get it goin in about 20 mins. THANK YOU ALL. Now to my next problem, dont think it is this easy. thanks again.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM
jp_tt_awd is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent advice, i just got thru doing this and boy does it feel great to have heat. I nearly froze to death the other morning without my heater working. What a great forum, thank the lord baby jesus for this forum.

jp

Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Beginning Member
SPLjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to bring this up but i just got into the same problem except where i live you have to turn off the water in the hose lines because its so cold and i dont want to freeze the lines in my house got any other suggestions