2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

noise coming from front left side...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Default noise coming from front left side...

As the title says fellas... I'm having a clicking sound coming from my front drivers side. Its not very loud unless you concentrate on it or are passing a parked car, wall, etc. (The echo of the noise) I'm thinking it could be my cv axle going but I wanted to get some more opinions. The thing is, I've always heard the cv axle click will get loud when turned one direction or another. This is not the case for my truck. The clicking SEEMS to go away once you get above around 40mph but it could just be the wind and tire whining muting it out. I see no tear in the boot or anything.... the passenger side was just replaced less than 1000 miles ago. (The boot was tore all the hell, driver side looked fine - still does)

I thought that it may be the 4x4 partially trying to kick in but nope.... I put it in 4 hi and it was IDENTICAL, nothing less and nothing more.

I guess my question would be... how do I figure out the culprit? I think I need to check the axle as well as the bairings. How would I do seperate test for these?

At first I thought it could've been a rock in the tread but after inspection I realized its not, also the noise isn't a constant accelerating rhythm. This click is just kind of random and a little louder than other small clicks.

I also thought it could have been a fuel line and or fuel filter tapping my frame at random but after stuffing a rag in between the two to make sure the noise continued....

So any help anyone... it'd be MUCH appreciated!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

does it speed up when you accelerate? do you hear the noise if parked?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Starting Member

No. No noise while in park or In reverse..... and no it doesn't speed up either. Its a random click/pop and it doesn't do it over bumps either, just normal driving.

Its DEF not coming from the motor if your referring to a valve, belt, etc... its something in the front left wheel or right under my drivers side door. Reason I know is because my gf in the passenger seat can't hear it at all unless she pays CLOSE attention and were passing something that the noise can echo off of. Its getting progressively worse, I'm really leaning toward the cv joint or wheel. I can't think of anything else...

Update... I drove the beast to the store this morning and its not really a "click" anymore, more like a pop. And it IS constant now and speeds up the faster you go. It DOESNT do it while in reverse, no matter how fast you go. And when taking turns (left or right) it doesn't do it either. I'm really thinking cv joint. I dont have the money to fix it right now though, I hardly EVER use 4wd... is there a way to just take off the cv axles until I can get the money to buy a new one?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way to remove the CV shaft unless you dismantle it, leaving the end in the front axle & the end in the bearing, just removing the center portion.

CV failures typically show up when turning and somewhat rarely when going straight. If it doesn't do it while turning, I am skeptical on the CV being the cause.

The fact that the frequency picks up with speed means that it is something in the drivetrain. I am betting that it is a front wheel bearing starting to go even though the noise doesn't change while turning. I had the same thing recently happen with my Tahoe which was cured by replacing the wheel bearing assembly.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Starting Member

I'm glad that YOU answered on this... lol

Yea it does not click or pop while turning, if anything the noise reduces. Its almost as if when I release the pedal from going about 30-40 is when it gets louder. I tried to put it in 4wd and still had the same sound.

I just jacked up each side and gave them a spin off the ground... the passenger side was a clean spin with absolutely no noise. The drivers side on the other hand made a small clicking sound, I guess its just louder when under a load. I tried to target exactly where the click was coming from and it sounds like its coming from the end of the cv shaft that connects to the hub. I'm really thinking its the bearings as well because there's no sound turning (atleast nothing worse).

What do you think Swart? Should I replace the hub bearings first? Just you educated opinion after a more thoro explination....

Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A CV shaft problem should, in theory, be present regardless of the direction of rotation (forward or reverse). A bearing race defect can become quieter when in reverse to the point of being drowned out by the other noises of the vehicle.

I recently completed my ISO level 2 vibration analysis certification and it is amazing how many different defects occur in bearings with very different symptoms. Basically, whenever one of the ***** in the bearing pack rolls over the defect, you get a click due to the preload in the bearing assembly.

IMO, I would recommend replacement of the hub. If anything, the hub can be more readily evaluated after it has been removed from the spindle & CV shaft.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

He said it doesn't speed up

That would put the search into suspension parts
Maybe look at the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, Even Shocks

Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shotnva777
Update... I drove the beast to the store this morning and its not really a "click" anymore, more like a pop. And it IS constant now and speeds up the faster you go. It DOESNT do it while in reverse, no matter how fast you go. And when taking turns (left or right) it doesn't do it either. I'm really thinking cv joint. I dont have the money to fix it right now though, I hardly EVER use 4wd... is there a way to just take off the cv axles until I can get the money to buy a new one?
Says it speeds up the faster you go right there. Although that sentence is a bit contradictory, I took the 'constant' reference to mean that the noise is no longer intermittent, not that it was independent of speed.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Starting Member

It was contrary at first... when it first started and wasn't very loud it was jus a random click here and there while moving. After driving it today for a while though it turned into a LOUD click that is steady (like a rock in the tire) and is pretty much constant

Hey swart... do you think that possibly when I "knocked" on the spindle the other dah it could have messed up something in the hub/bearing assembly? I had to change out my upper ball joints and the stud wouldn't come out of the spindle for ANYTHING! I was told to tap on the side of the spindle where the stud goes through with a small sledge. It got it out but it gave me more trouble than the passenger side, so I had to hit a little harder. Could this have loosened a bearing or something?

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-29-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Doubtful that you hurt anything, but it is always a possibility (clear as mud right). Did the problem (clicking noise) get worse after the ball joint replacement or show up after the replacement?

Quick Reply: noise coming from front left side...