2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Over Head consol

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over Head consol

Hey so im looking at buying a overhead consol. My main question is what years should i be looking at and if i buy a 95 consol should the compas modual be in the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Over Head consol

Nope. Each year had options.

Possible finds:

1)nothing
2) dome pocket with map lights
3)short consoles (with screen) and map lights
4)short console with screen and trip computer and lights
5)long console (without screen) and map lights
6)long console with screen and map lights
7)long console with screen and trip computer and lights

and..to further complicate things...I'm not sure all years for all models...its best to stick within your model year range.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

For the actual console part, it doesnt matter, however for the air sensor and computer you can get those outa whatever and stick it in the console. You will have to run wiring under your headliner and a-pillar. My truck actually came with the console wirring under the hood just not up the pillar and under headliner. I also chose to get the computer part for mine from an astrovan as it had the whole mpg computer stuff in the pc too, but requires you run a wire to your ODBII connector. Hope it helps, do a search for "overhead console" on both here and s10forum and you will find everything you need. Also if you can help it go get your parts from a junkyard as you will proly pay only 10-15 bucks for the whole console. good luck.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Starting Member

Ok thanks.
that is the answer i have been looking for. the unit i found is just the compass and air temp and im Pretty good with wiring after working in a truck accesories shop for a year and a half.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if I was clear, but whatever rig you get the computer out of you need to get the airsensor from the core support aswell. They are diffrent sometimes, like the airsensor for my consol puter from the astro is difrent than the one that went with the original puter in my console. also look at your lights wiring the directionals should be wired with the visors to allways hot, but the dome wires to the accessory on / dome or whatever. I have to mod mine a bit cause my rearview has lights too but there wired to accessorie on. I want them wired always on like the console, so essentially I have 6 map lights, then I can put "mood" lights in the front two, and have "options" if you know what Im saying *wink* *wink*, hope it helps!

EDIT: I would recomend going and pulling a harness outa the yard too. It will save you alota trouble good at wiring or not. Look at your core support, se if there is a connecter cliped to the inside of it (in the middle), if this connector is there then thereis a good chance the connector to meet the a-pillar connector is allready behind the dash! Our trucks are diffrent, but you never know!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Starting Member

does anyone have some pictures of one installed in a 2 Dr? thanks already!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:57 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

drperry put in a short OHC with trip computer in his 2-door