2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

poping noise when getting in truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default poping noise when getting in truck

every once in a while when i sit down in the truck i can hear a pop comming from somewhere up front. it dosent matter what side me or my gf get into. ive only had the truck for about a year and it hasnt done this until recently. sometimes i hear it when i turn a corner as well (slow driving ex parking lot). ive jacked up the truck and shook both front tires from side to side and top and bottom and theres no play. so i dont think its ball joints or tie rod ends. i dont think wheel bearings would do this. any suggestions ?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: poping noise when getting in truck

Probably your shocks or coil springs should not be a bad issue though

Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

I still think it could be a balljoint issue. I kept hearing a popping in the front of mine from time to time when braking and when I would first put the blazer in reverse. It turns out that someone had installed an el cheapo set of balljoints in it before I got it. The hardware(bolts) were not grade 8 and had worked loose over time. When I inspected the passenger side lower balljoint, 2 bolts were gone and 1 was about to fall out, the last bolt was loose allowing the balljoint to move around in the control arm. The balljoints were fine, but the hardware was junk. Fortunately I found and rectified the problem before something disasterous happened.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe door bushings? Do you still have original ball joints? How many miles?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Ball joints!!!

I had the same popping sound, while turning slowly. We could feel NO play in the tires. Changed two suspect ball joints....still there! Changed sway bar bushings......still there! Changed one front axle....still there! Checked shock bolts for tightness....still there! Finally, in sheer desperation, changed the final two ball joints. That was my popping sound! How I wish we'd started with those two ball joints! That popping sound was driving me crazy(and it's a short trip!)!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Starting Member

well i just bought 4 new moog ball joints from carstuff.com for a grand total of $274.24 i couldnt find parts cheaper anywhere else. so if anyone else is in the market you might wanna check them out.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Geez, I went with the cheapo 1 year ones at Advance. I think they were only like $15-17 each!

But, I have a cousin that will change two for a 30 pack of PBR!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Could have got them from rockauto for a little over $200.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Starting Member

they do have a lowest price guarantee so ill give them a call.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Starting Member

i don't think it is shocks because when i bought the truck it had new shocks on it. the door bushings aren't it i hit them up with pb blaster on top of that it don't make the noise when i open the door but when i sit in the truck. it does pop every once in a while when i get it into gear (reverse or drive) but while im at it i want to do the cv joints too because i noticed today that the drivers side has a broken boot. it wasnt broken a little over a month ago. as well as wheel bearings if needed or tie rod ends and be done with it. i have had no luck finding cv joints ill check out rockauto while im there looking at the ball joints. any suggestions on where to find cv joints? or tie rod ends ?

Quick Reply: poping noise when getting in truck