2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Arrow Power Steering Flush

Hi all,

I thought I'd share what I did to flush and replace the power steering system.
  • I jacked up the front of the truck so that the front tires could be turned. I also took off the left front tire to get access to where I would have the the fluid drain. Finally, I had the air filter box out for other maintenance which proved to be quite convenient.
  • I disconnected the return line from the pump and plugged it. I used a piece of 3/8" ID hose pushed onto the inlet and clamped with a pair of vice grips. (see link to picture below)
  • I directed the disconnected return line hose down through a gap next to the frame so that it would emerge in the forward end of the front wheel well and the fluid would drain into a drain pan. I could only get about an inch of this tube to emerge from the engine compartment but it was sufficient to direct the old fluid to the drain pan. (see link to picture below)
  • To get the fluid out, I had turned the steering wheel back and forth several times (with the motor off) and got out maybe a quart of fluid.
  • After that, I filled the reservoir up and then started the engine to circulate the fluid. While the engine was on I turned the wheel back and forth several times after which I would turn the engine off not wanting to accidentally run the power steering pump while it was dry for very long.
  • I repeated this about 5 times with only with the third time resulting in fresh fluid coming out and air being expelled.
  • After I was satisfied with the clarity of the fluid coming out, I reconnected the return line and ran the engine again, turning the steering wheel back and forth several times followed by stopping the engine to check on the fluid. I did this step a 2 or 3 times until the level in the pump reservoir stabilized.

http://u.cubeupload.com/christine_208/PSflush.jpg

A word of warning, it is easy to over fill the power steering pump reservoir. I used many more paper towels than I otherwise would have needed because of my spills.

A little hint: Be sure to plug the disconnected return line before you feed it through the gap so as to limit any messes. I found an AC-Delco spark plug I had just recently replaced fit the hose perfectly.

Finally I probably only needed 2 quarts of power steering fluid but used maybe 2.5. I had purchased a gallon container of it since the price for a gallon was about the same price as three individual quarts.

I hope you might find this useful.

Christine