2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 AM
gernsperger is on a distinguished road
Default Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leaking

Hello all,
I have a 98 S10 Blazer 4wd, just replaced the v-6 engine, I have an oil leak at the remote filter adapter at the engine, does anybody have a good diagram of the gaskets and o-rings that are used on that. and the order that they go in.
Thank you, great site, has been very helpful with some odd problems with my blazer

Old 09-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
schrack is on a distinguished road

Just do yourself a favor & eliminate all the oil cooler line crap. I was having the same problem on all 3 of my s10 vehicles. Go to your local dealership & order & order the 2wd nipple, it will thread directly to the block, then you can use a dodge neon filter. The part # 14081300 is less than $10 at dealership. I have done this on all of my vehicles with no ill effects, Good Luck.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I did that as well on my jimmy. Get the WIX 51036 filter.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep,ripe the lines and adapter off,or disconnect the lines and pull em back. pull the 2 10mm bolts off the adapter and scrap the gasket off..reinsert the threaded nipple into the block, then buy the wix 51036 and put it on. and roll!

oil cooler? yes you need it if you are pulling 5k+ all the time. ive been beating the poo out of mine without it for 15k miles now. no issues.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member
my old blazer is on a distinguished road
Question 2nd gen 4X4s

Your suggestion must be for later model 2 wheel drive Blazers. Mine is a 99 4X4 and I'm trying to find a way to take the adapter off of the block to fix the oil leak. GM put the adapter on these because the differential housing almost contacts the block in that area. Is there a way to get the adapter off without lowering the front differential????

Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yup loosen the motor mount and jack the motor up! The adapter works on 4wd vehicles just fine. I just cut the old lines out rather than removing them in one piece. They were garbage anyway so no point in being gentle with them!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I have seriously considered getting rid of mine. The question is, how hard does this make changing the filter?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

yeah I personally like not having to lay on my back under the center of the truck just to change the filter lol but that's just me I guess...

I had a buddy of mine replace the adapter O-rings on the block for me, just because I was feeling lazy and he was willing to do it for $20 :P he works on cars as a side job... Now my lines are leaking, not terribly, but enough to be noticeable, and it's on my to-do list to replace those lines...

Old 04-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my lines about 3 years ago with Dorman lines. It was a bad idea, they started leaking again after about 6 months. They leak worse than my old ones did. What I was thinking of doing was grabbing a set of stockers and taking them to a hydraulics shop and see how much they would charge me to replace the rubber lines with something heavy duty.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

I use the acdelco pf47 filter. To change filter I have to lift up on left side of oil pan so it will clear diff and yoke. I do have the RC 2inch lift kit installed so not sure if that makes it work clearing things. Id say as long as your using a synthetic oil there's no need for the cooler.

Quick Reply: Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leaking