2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removal of stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Bodar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removal of stock stereo

My Blazer has the factory 6 pack in the center console. also the steering wheel controls. i am wondering what kind of a task it would be to take it all out to replace with aftermarket? The 6 pack is what boggles me cuz its in the center console mounted vertically. Could i install my deck in the center console vertically and just deactivate the stock radio but leave it in for a stealth install? Anyone tried this?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Removal of stock stereo

Why get a new stereo just for a stealth install? Are you upgrading and amping everything else and you just need better original source..? Usually the factory stereo gets replaced for a better display, cleaner look, more features...etc...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you got pics of this factory setup? I don't think I've ever seen one .

Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 PM

i will get pics of it tomoro. and the reason behind it is thieves. if they see an after mrket deck chances are they have amps and subs. Yes i am amping everything and the works. with the headunit installed there, you wont be able to see it so less chance of a break in.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

stock stereos can cost more than aftermarket radios[8D]

Why not just do a standard install, and put the extra money youd be spending into a real security system?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM

because i already have a security system, When a thief walks by your vehicle with the intention of stealing something. the first thing he glances at is if it has a aftermarket or stock stereo. if its stock they keep on moving unless something else catches their eye. And i can see the stock stereo being lots, as chev and the rest of the major manufacturers like to nickel and dime you to death. When after market is better than their crappy stock stereo which costs the same or more than a aftermarket head unit. Im not looking to replace and windows anytime soon, nor do i need to lose any of my equipment to someone who cant get a job. So im willing to take measures against it. can anyone give me the wiring diagram for the interior of a 99 blazer? or tell me the color codes?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

All you would need to do this is the wiring harness install kit for your blazer and some extra wire. You can build the pigtail as long as you like(within reason of course) and install the HU any where. You would also need an antenna cable. I think this is a good idea. Many muscle car owners install the aftermarket unit in the glove box.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Alright im back with pics. now i dont know if this is a factory 6-pack, my wife tells me that the guy i bought it from said something about installing a cd player. IDK, buut i do know that im gunna try this out. I have considered piggybacking the wires to location, but the 6-pack has to already have a power wire, ignition and ground to function. So why run wires that are already pre existing?
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...r/HPIM2485.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...r/HPIM2486.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...r/HPIM2488.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...r/HPIM2487.jpg

Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member
The Beep is an unknown quantity at this point

That's stock?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran

I dont know what id do will all my stuff in the center console if I had a cd changer stuck in there..

Quick Reply: Removal of stock stereo