2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replace fuel pump from inside the truck????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Beginning Member
Brewmyown is on a distinguished road
Default Replace fuel pump from inside the truck????

I read a post on the internet about a guy who cut a hole above the fuel pump inside the truck and replaced the pump that way. I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic and moved to Florida if he's ever heard of doing that. He said he has done it to a vehicle before and just patched the same piece back in place. It was on one of his trucks that was stranded and he did it in a parking lot with battery operated tools because he didnt want to pay for a tow the long distance.

Sounds crazy but has anyone ever done it here?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh God No! This is such an easy job! Yes you may have to replace certain hangers/hardware,but DO NOT CUT A HOLE IN THE FLOOR! REALLY!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

it would be nice if american cars started having access panels like alot of foreign cars do. did a fuel pump on a bmw today. just take the back seat out and its 4 bolts.

ive cut the hole in the back of 2 trucks so far one was on a k5 due to a bad sending unit and it had a skid guard in the way. the skid guard wouldn't come off unless the hitch was dropped so instead of torching 10 bolts off i just cut a access hole. and im glad i did cause a year later had a ground issue and was able to just pull the panel off. just use common sense. no torching the hole. dont drill or cut into the tank. etc

Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member
81Z4ME is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine being able to do this without cutting a really big hole.

First, you've got to either know exactly where to cut it or cut it a time or two (first hole to see how close you are and second to get it right).

It'll have to be big enough to get wrenches on the hoses that are screwed to the hard lines and then to move the hoses out of the way while you get that lock ring off and pick the sending unit/pump up out of the tank.

I've heard stories of folks cutting a hole in the trunk/floor only to find out they still had to drop the tank.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
ladueboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I read a post on the internet about a guy who cut a hole above the fuel pump inside the truck and replaced the pump that way. I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic and moved to Florida if he's ever heard of doing that. He said he has done it to a vehicle before and just patched the same piece back in place. It was on one of his trucks that was stranded and he did it in a parking lot with battery operated tools because he didnt want to pay for a tow the long distance.

Sounds crazy but has anyone ever done it here?
Oh yea..if its just transportation...go for it
No messing around with rotted filler neck lines
No messing around with Frozen Bolts
No messing with rotted Straps
No messing around with the lines along the frame

Easy to do..have one guy with flashlight look above rear tire
to watch Blade or whatever your cutting with
Make a 24 by 24 square but leave one side uncut and
just pry it up..
Gas tank job on a lift? yea maybe drop tank
but on the ground...Start Cutting

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

hah.. deja vu all over again.

Joined Tbird forum for first time after I bought # 3 and FP started making a racket 3 days later.
In two previous cars, 200k miles total, never had to drop exhaust let alone fuel tank. So I searched it and found a great how-to thread...

Fuel Pump Replacement - TCCoA Forums

You might suspect it didnt go over well.

My 93 was pretty clean, no rust, so I did it the right way. Even then it was a PITA job
Problem is I cheaped out and used an Airtex. Which has a crap sender.

So I have no doubt I'll be going back in through the top.. unless I have to change a driveshaft u-joint first. You have to drop the tank to get to driveshaft.

Q: What's the difference between a factory supplied access hole and one you cut and patch properly, yourself?
A: Nothing.
- Ever do that.. use seam sealer with the patch or Lowes has that black putty goop you see at utility pipe and wire foundation through holes.
Yes I would do a better job than that in the pic. I have the right tools.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! If you get the job done that way,my question is : What are you saving? Time perhaps... but what about the other line issues that need to be addressed at the same time? IMO NOT the right way to do this relatively strait forward job! Drop the tank and do it right the first time!!!You will be glad you did! 2 cents worth from step66!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 PM
cnemo42 is on a distinguished road

G.M. should be required to provide an access hole for these pumps.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

In the interest of full disclosure GM has made several cars with access panels for fuel pumps. The 2000+ LeSabre and cousins all have access panels in the trunk to provide easy access to the fuel pump. What would have been really awesome is if they had done that for all of their vehicles since about 1986.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Gunfighter is on a distinguished road

Last fall during a trip out west the fuel pump went out of my friends vehicle. Although we had another vehicle towing this one down the mountain and sixty miles to town was out of the question. We were able however to get to the nearest large city and procure a pump. Lacking any means of safely jacking the vehicle and the proper tools to remove the tank we made a crude (hatchet, hammer, screw driver crude) access hatch and replaced the pump.

The new pump (purchased from a national brand thankfully) failed half way home during a snow storm. We towed the unit to the next town on the freeway and got the pump exchanged. Changeout was done in the parking lot during the storm and took less than 20 minutes. We made a nice cover for the access hatch after we got home.

Unless there is a very good reason to drop the tank all future pump changes will be done the same way except the access hatch will already be there and I won't have to make one up on the mountain.

Quick Reply: Replace fuel pump from inside the truck????