2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Runs great when cold, stalls when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
just a mom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Runs great when cold, stalls when warm

We have looked for engine throwing sparks when it is dark and also checked for vacumn leaks the best we could.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Beginning Member
2blzers is an unknown quantity at this point

noticed early on that youjust replaced your rotor. how does dist cap look inside. carbon tracks? have a 2001 blazer had hard starting one time was all set to replace fuel pressure regulator took off dist cap to get at fuel rail and cap was bad with less than 20,000 on cap. at this point thought maybe this would be easiier of the attempted fixes? but sounds more fuel related? good luck!!! with all your hard work hope it gets going decent for you!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 PM

2blzers,THANKS for the reply the dist cap looked fine and we were still working on our problems but I truly appreciate the input and suggestions.

Here is an update I'll try to make it short as possible-My son called to tell me that he had to restart his blazer on his way to college around a dozen times to make a trip that is only 3 miles or so from his house. It had been running much better, not great, but better prior to this. I knew he had time in between classes so I called a couple different garages and the wait was going to be over a week but I finally found one that could look at it the same afternoon. This garage just popped in my head because years ago (12-15 before everybody had cell phones) we had taken our car there dropped it off in the morning told them to put brakes on it all the way around and we'd be back before they closed to pick it up. The car had 60,000 miles on it and had always been driven mostly in town for short trips and even though it was bought new we thought it would need them by this time. Imagine our surprise when they was honest and said they did not replace them because the were only half gone. You certainly don't find many businesses like this, anyway I went to his college and followed him, but I can tell you I wasn't sure he could keep it running long enough to make the trip to the garage. They told me it needed a PCM but thatthe dealership would have to flash the unit( this would run $82.00)and because it was rare unit that he needed they had tried to find a replacement and it was going to run 500+ dollars for just the PCM.
They finally suggested I try to find one at a salvage yard. I had to call six different ones to find the PCM that I needed but located one for $50. I then called the dealership and they could get me in to flash it the next morning. The Chevy dealership called the next morning and told me if they installed it the cost would be $45.00 for installation. I told them it was 3 screws and there wasn't any way on earth I'd pay someone that kind of money for 2 minutes of work. I told them I'd be out with my tools to install it and then they could push it inside. The way it was they could drive it in if they wanted to install it for free. They decided to install for free but 10 minutes later they called again to tell me the mechanic said the way it acted when he drove it there was no way it was the PCM.
They finallytalked me into diagnostics which was also $82 but they said it would be the same price that I was going to pay for the flash that wasn't needed. I knew that they would find something wrong as I was well aware that it was an old worn out vehicle. Here are the codes they pulled: P0122, PO123, P1121, P1122, P1406. Now with most of these being related to the TPS which was replaced at another garage I had to check into this farther.
Went back to the1st garagethat told me it needed the PCMand ask how they came to that conclusion, they explained it to me and I went to the dealership and told them what they had said, I personally talked tothe mechanic and told him that I had paid $50 the day before for diagnostics and $82 there for diagnostics and still didn't have a solution to my problem. He told me that to prove his point that it wasn't the PCM that he would install it and flash it for free. They already had $82 of my money so I didn't feel that bad and I had decided I take him up on that offer. It was the end of the day so I left it overnight and they called first thing in the morning and said it was done but said it was still pulling codes and running the same way. We picked it up10 days ago and it has not stalled on my son since then, I am sure it still needs something or will in the near future but I could care less about the codes it throws as long as it is not jeopardizing my sons life anddying when he pulls into traffic. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!!
P.S. by the way I went back to the first garage and told them we haven't had any problems since the PCM was installed and I'd be back if we ever needed their services for anything else. My hubby keeps teasing me that I look bored since I haven't had anything to work on for a week and a half and that he's willing to buy me a fix it upper to occupy my spare time (If he does I hope it's a blazer as I've read many, many comments on this forum about them.)SoI'm back in the kitchen and out from under the hood for now. I APPRECIATE this great forum!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P1121 - TP Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage
P1122 - TP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Low Voltage
P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

I really do not think that the P1406 is related to the others unless it was being caused by the PCM. I could not find this code in a format which I could easily transfer over to the site...

The TPS codes were quite possibly caused by a bad PCM, but they also could be caused by wiring problems. If they come back, I would be tracing the wiring from the TPS sensor to the PCM.

Let us know if problems return and we will revisit the issues.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:18 PM

THANKS swartikk! I printed off allthe DTC's for the ones that refer to ours and will give them to my son as soon as I see him. THANKS MUCH!!!!!