2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

scantool cannot read live data, does read DTC's

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Starting Member
kevinph is on a distinguished road
Default scantool cannot read live data, does read DTC's

I'm working on a 98 blazer and have the autoenginuity scan tool. The tool can read DTC's from all systems, including the VCM. However it cannot see live VCM data. I can actuate the chime in the BCM module.

I have an email into the tool tech support guy.

Can anyone think of a wiring problem that might cause the VCM not to stream sensor data?

Thanks
Kevin

Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What system are you selecting when you are attempting to read live data? It has been awhile since I have started up my AE ProLine tool, but I believe that you have to be in the power train system to get the data to show up. Then it depends on what you want to look at and how you want it displayed. For numeric display only, you have to select the appropriate parameter for each of the 'gauges' on the screen. For the graph display, again, you need to select the parameter(s) to show on a particular graph section.

One thing to remember is that not all parameters that are shown in the drop-down menus will be available outputs from your PCM depending on the vehicle.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:13 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I've just been working with mine over the past few days. You will get different choices for live data if you choose "Generic Powertrain" from the dropdown versus "Enhanced Powertrain". I can't remember, because I bought the GM Family enhancement so quickly after receiving the Proline VCI, but I don't know if you can even choose "Enhanced Powertrain" if you don't have the GM Enhancement. An example is you can't see CMP Retard in the Generic Powertrain, but you can in Enhanced. You aren't seeing any live data stream at all? Another question, which AE Scantool do you have? Is it the latest Proline VCI,? I can try and help from what I'm learning about it, but I may not be so helpful with earlier versions. I don't know what the differences would be.

Two other notes: After first just having the scantool with the basic program it comes with, compared to getting an enhanced package....my opinion is that it's not worth it to buy the AE Scantool without an enhancement package. I found the "basic" package fairly lacking from what i was expecting. However, once I added the GM Enhancement, I feel it is $500 well spent ($249 for scantool + $229 for enhancement). Just my opinion.

Second thing is, from what I read there are some "knock-offs" or unauthorized dealers that are selling something that claims to be the AE Scantool, but really isn't. I would/might recommend buying the scantool directly from the AE website so all risk is mitigated (for anyone out there considering this purchase). Just my opinion again.

Last edited by rockp2; 03-22-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using the tool for a couple of years without problems. I have the advanced GM version and know how to operate the tool. I spoke to AE support last night and we updated the firmware. I'll post results later today.

My question is more of the nature in trying to understand if the OBD-2 data might be reported over more than one data line (wire).

Kevin

Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 AM
biggerthanu is on a distinguished road

i bought a snap on mt 2500 for 180 bucks

Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Starting Member

Found the problem with the scan tool. Latest version doesn't autoselection the right communication mode. Forcing J1850VPW with OBD-II compliant does the trick. Great support from the tech support guy over the weekend.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM
Starting Member
Tom Thomas is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
I've just been working with mine over the past few days. You will get different choices for live data if you choose "Generic Powertrain" from the dropdown versus "Enhanced Powertrain". I can't remember, because I bought the GM Family enhancement so quickly after receiving the Proline VCI, but I don't know if you can even choose "Enhanced Powertrain" if you don't have the GM Enhancement. An example is you can't see CMP Retard in the Generic Powertrain, but you can in Enhanced. You aren't seeing any live data stream at all? Another question, which AE Scantool do you have? Is it the latest Proline VCI,? I can try and help from what I'm learning about it, but I may not be so helpful with earlier versions. I don't know what the differences would be.

Two other notes: After first just having the scantool with the basic program it comes with, compared to getting an enhanced package....my opinion is that it's not worth it to buy the AE Scantool without an enhancement package. I found the "basic" package fairly lacking from what i was expecting. However, once I added the GM Enhancement, I feel it is $500 well spent ($249 for scantool + $229 for enhancement). Just my opinion.

Second thing is, from what I read there are some "knock-offs" or unauthorized dealers that are selling something that claims to be the AE Scantool, but really isn't. I would/might recommend buying the scantool directly from the AE website so all risk is mitigated (for anyone out there considering this purchase). Just my opinion again.
for 4x4 2000 blazer I hear you can ground 13 pin on data link port and will flash codes 1 stand by power 2 encoder fault 3 tccm motor circuit 4Ram/ROM failure