2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Slight knock until oil warms up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slight knock until oil warms up?

For some reason, my engine knocks slightly for about a minute or less after starting (idle or driving), only until the oil warms up. Once it has idled for about a minute, the knocking stops. This is only happening when the temp is 45 degrees or less. The oil I use is 5W-30 Valvoline Durablend (semi-synthetic). The engine has about 140K miles on it, so things are probably just getting worn out. What, if anything can I do to stop the knocking?

On another note, I finally got the bubbling sound in the dash to go away..... by changing the heater core [:@] Took me about 10 hours and a few beers. Went ahead and changed all the hoses while I had the system drained too. It would have been nice if the Haynes manual mentioned the big connector on the right side of the dash was held together with a bolt under all the wires, I couldn't see it since its also on the backside.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:09 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Slight knock until oil warms up?

knocking or tapping? in cold weather my 4.3 has some top end tapping until it warms up a little.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:26 PM
SDimeBlazerlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine knocks til it warms to but mines a 87 with 2.8 and 1 problem i have is the dipstick doesnt read right.so mine maybe low on oil!.....(heres my problem either has to short of filler tube or too long of dipstick) Can a oil filler tube from a 2.5 fit on a 2.8 and is the 2.5 shorter? Any help be awesome.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

my srt-4 does the same thing and chrysler told me it was just noisy lifters, theres supposely an additive on the market to quite them down if you want to shop around. i just installed a remote starter that way its warm when I get in and I don't hear those darn lifters

Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about the knocking.
Change your oil and filter, then after you have the correct amount of oil in the engine and you've run the engine, remove the dipstick and scribe a line on it that is your "full" mark.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:01 PM

mine is definitely knocking, not tapping. its probably a flow problem, but with 5W-30 semi-synthetic it should flow fine even cold. thanks for the help so far, any more ideas out there?

Old 11-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

got a FRAM oil filter? I've read those things have poor flow especially at start up

Old 11-23-2006, 10:16 PM

yeah, I have a fram oil filter. ive used the fram oil filters for years, this problem is recent. But i will try a purolator next change and see if that is it.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Crashes is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a rod main bearing is scorched or loose, but Im just guessing. Is it top end sounding or low end?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:43 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: cherryred4x4

yeah, I have a fram oil filter. ive used the fram oil filters for years, this problem is recent. But i will try a purolator next change and see if that is it.
Try Wix they are rated as one of the top five filters in the U.S. I believe that the NAPA Gold is made by Wix...

Quick Reply: Slight knock until oil warms up?