2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spare Trire

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cimmerian
Man, you guys are lucky. I still can't even find a rear hatch tire carrier...
I found mine in a pick n pull in about five minutes. Blazers are a dime a dozen in a junkyard, should be easy to find one!

Maybe if you live in the rust belt, and cars are rusted in half in ten years, might make it hard to find one

Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I found mine in a pick n pull in about five minutes. Blazers are a dime a dozen in a junkyard, should be easy to find one!

Maybe if you live in the rust belt, and cars are rusted in half in ten years, might make it hard to find one
Every time I checked my local yards, they've never had any.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road

Found 2 ZR2's in the Reno,NV pic-n-pull at the same time. Along with many other Blazers and s10's.

On the subject of tire carriers. For the external carrier on a 2001 ZR2, can the hinge be undone and the carrier removed without cutting/drilling/grinding the hinge pins?
Mine is getting loose. I've added some notched washer for the up and down play but it seems it may need bushings for lateral play. If I can get it apart I may be able to use oversized hardened bolts. Don't see any way to get a wrench on it.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:53 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Cimmerian, I could ship you one, but that might be a bit pricey.

I also plan on installing the 2 door carrier onto my 4 door.
As far as it blocking a lot of the rear window, I plan on running a back up camera for assistance on that. I will be placing the camera in the old spare tire joist hole.

But as for now, it sits flat in my trunk space. Pulled my subs last year, so between the spare and some tools...not a lot of space.

Would love to cut the floor of the cargo area where the spare sat under, and make more space there....as it is just an empty void now.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I got an external spare tire carrier last summer that I will likely install as my new larger tires won't fit under where the original spare is. (I do have an old tire there but I really would prefer a tire that matches the ones I have.)

One my my issues will be to see if I can swing the tire out of the way when I have either my utility trailer or boat trailer attached.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Would love to cut the floor of the cargo area where the spare sat under, and make more space there....as it is just an empty void now.
that's a good idea! Never thought about that... I got the tire carrier, dont care about seeing out the rear, got side mirrors for that lol. But with my socket set and tool box, not much room for much... well the wifey says so... I think theres plenty lol...

Old 01-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
[...] my new larger tires won't fit under where the original spare is.[...]
A precious tip. Prior I start doing anything there, I'll check if my tire fits in

Originally Posted by christine_208
One my my issues will be to see if I can swing the tire out of the way when I have either my utility trailer or boat trailer attached.
I assume, hanging on the boat side as a bumper doesn't count?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
I assume, hanging on the boat side as a bumper doesn't count?
Ah, no. LOL

Old 01-09-2019, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I pull my pop up trailer, sometimes I put my canoe (14') on the trailer. Without the canoe I dont have a problem. With it, it blocks it at about a 55° angle.

standard 235x75r15. I think it comes out to about 29"...

edit: forgot to add your quote christine...

Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I'm actually in the process of installing some off road lights, and one pair is going to go on the roof aimed backwards.

Its for backing up on a trail after dark, but if they "accidentally" get turned on when some bozo is tailgating... Oopsie
I hear ya, "oopsie" just kinda happens sometimes lol! Where I live though it is illegal too have any kind of headlight, spotlight, off road light rear facing at the top of a vehicle. BUT it is perfectly legal too have receiver hitch lights...As long as they are mounted under the rear bumper AND you actually have a vehicle with a tow package lol...

Quick Reply: Spare Trire