2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

spark plug #3

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
stlunatics2oo3 is on a distinguished road
Default spark plug #3

I changed my plugs today well 5 of them but that darn # 3 plug I couldnt get any tips or tricks. its a 98 blazer 2wd 4door. I have searched and I heard the taking the steering shaft off but Im unsure how to do this. any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go: 2nd Gen #3 Sparkplug Removal
That pesky Tech Article section must elude even the most determined of searchers!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
fslobodecki@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default #3 spark plug removal with steering shaft in way

use spark plug socket with hex head end and a 3/4 off set box wrench. or the new type ratching combo wrench. dont try through the wheel well, stering shaft will tick you off. over the fender will do. offset box wrench will give clearance to your fingers. dont forget the anti seize on the spark plug threads.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 PM

yeah my biggest problem is the previous owner had the brake lines replaces and they have the lines running right next to the shaft. I will try the wrench idea thanks fslo

Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM

thanks Swart I must of read right over it

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member
caditech is on a distinguished road

another trick you can do is to acctually lock your steering wheel in place with a rope or bungey cord and wrap it around the headrest (or w/e way works best for you) and then you can acctually disconnect the steering shaft from the gear box and move it out of the way. if you pull it up out of the way it makes it a WHOLE lot easier to go through the wheel well. (our shop charges almost 2hrs of labor for it equaling 200 something bucks. and it only takes me half an hour for all the plugs if they dont fight with me)

Last edited by caditech; 02-18-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road

I must be one of the lucky ones. 3/8" wobble extension just fits past the flat spot on the steering column. It doesn't take any longer than the other plugs. And it definitly doesn't take 2 hrs

Mike

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM

theeviltwinn are you going from top of the steering shaft or under it

Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Beginning Member
caditech is on a distinguished road

yes i agree that 2 hours is excessive. (but shhhhh! dont tell my customers that)

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Here ya go: 2nd Gen #3 Sparkplug Removal
That pesky Tech Article section must elude even the most determined of searchers!

I dont think it stands out enough, maybe it needs to be near the top? or maybe a different color?

Quick Reply: spark plug #3