2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter Busted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Beginning Member
Awesome is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Starter Busted?

Wow, this truck has more problems than I originally thought it did...

The current headache is an intermittent problem that exonerated itself today. Previously, if the truck is cold, sometimes when I go to start it the engine would start to turn over, I'd hear a bang or a thud, and it wouldn't turn over any more. The starter engages like it's trying to turn the motor, and the lights dim as if the starter is engaged, but the engine won't move. I'm actually stuck 35 miles away from home with the family tonight because today the "intermittent" problem decided to stick. I cannot start my truck. I am going to pull the starter in the morning and have it tested... unless any of you have anything to add? The battery is good (I just swapped it with a bigger, regular-post battery yesterday), and I tried jumping it.

All these skidplates are great offroad... but to work on it I gotta pull them off... hahaha.

I also have a power problem when I hit 1800 RPM... the engine loses power and if I'm not stepping on it hard it just sits there at that rpm and stutters a bit. I can power through it but it's still odd and it bothers me... I do have an exhaust leak somewhere... could this cause it?

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Last edited by Awesome; 11-15-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That noise doesn't sound good. Almost sounds like there is something locking up in the engine... Hopefully for your sake, it is a problem with the starter.

As far as the bog at 1800RPM is concerned, when was the last time you did a full tune up?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

I haven't done a tune-up. Small budget and getting a starter isn't in it. I have checked one of the spark plugs (how are you supposed to GET to them?!) and it looked fine.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An RPM dependent bog could be a result of a weakened ignition system. You may want to try misting down your wires with some water at night with the engine running. If you see sparks jumping out of the wires, then you need to replace them. The general term "tune-up" consists of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member

The cap and rotor are fine, the plugs are decent. The wires probably do need to be replaced, as I shocked myself on them when I was replacing the ICM. I'll try that water trick. Right now I can NOT get that dang starter out of the engine! I can only push it back so far after I unbolt it before it hits an exhaust shield or something, so the last 1/2 inch or so of the starter is still in the engine.

Oh, and I figured out how to check the plugs... just have to pull the wheels. The right front plug (in relation to right front wheel) looks like it's still hard to get to, though.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

The starter will come out. It is like a cruel mind-trick. There is one particular way it will come out. Get it in the right orientation and it will practically fall on your face.

I have done a few where the engine needed to be jacked up a bit though. This is due to sagging engine mounts.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member

I'm about ready to give up. I can't get it out. If that solenoid on top of the starter could come off, maybe I could get it out, but there just isn't enough room. I read a post here saying that the wires on the back of it need to be taken off, but I can't get to them. I can barely get to the top wire (I don't think I can get a wrench on it), but the bottom wire can't be reached. Do the wires make that much of a difference?? I tried jacking up the engine and that didn't help.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

You definitely have to get the wires off before you can get it out of there. In some extreme cases, I have had to pull the motor mount bolt to allow the motor to be jacked up higher. Large hands to not make this job any easier. I have a 18" long flexible 1/4" extension that I use to get at the smaller wires on the starter.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member

I FINALLY got it! I had to pull the bellhousing off (rounding the head on one of the bolts because they were on so tight... in aluminum! ) and to pull the bellhousing off I had to disconnect the front driveshaft. New bolts and a remanufactured starter: $100. The starter has a lifetime warranty. Alright... now to put it all back together.

EDIT: Put the bellhousing and starter on... same problem. Looks like a seized engine.

Edit Again: My buddy tells me that sometimes if the alternator freezes up it will make it seem like the engine is frozen. I'm going to pull the belt off next time I feel like getting under the truck and putting the old starter back in. Hopefully it will start without the belt! (dead alternator would also explain why it seemed the battery was draining over time)

Last edited by Awesome; 11-16-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Well, let us know.

Further diagnosis would include measuring the voltage at the main lug on the starter. Hook an alligator clip up to the lug and feed it out to a multimeter you can see when you attempt to start the truck. Compare this voltage with the battery positive terminal under the same conditions (starting). If they do not match, it could be a spent fusible link.

Quick Reply: Starter Busted?