2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Wolfgang Grebenhof is on a distinguished road
Default Starting issues

Hi folks,
Iīm new to this group, my name is Wolfgang, please see my post in the new members area if interested.
I just recently bought a 1995 Chevy Blazer 4,3 l Vortec AWD. It runs like a charm, exspeicually since I did a full service, changing all fluids and filters. Spark plugs, fuel and air filters are new.
After some 2000 miles of trouble free driving, the car has developed a strange behaviour. It will, most of the time, start beautifully with only a second or two on the starter (starter turns over strongly, battery is fully charged and strong). Every now and then, car will not start again when turned off. This is not a hot or cold issue! Car starts fine, but after being turned off, it wonīt restart.
I suspect the aftermarket anti-theft device may be the source of the problem, but Iīm not sure. What do you think? Did anyone havve this issue before?
Thanks, and best regards from Germany!
Wolfgang

Old 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to our society
I remember people posting on their problems with aftermarket anti-theft devices, so could be.
Anyway, to be more clear - Your engine cranks but it doesn't start, is that right?

Old 05-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Yes, thatīs right. Cranks, but will not start. When I let it sit for a while, itīll start without hesitation.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Might be anti theft, I have no experience with those.

I know you said it's not a hit or cold issue, but if you have a crank, no start, I would go ahead and check fuel pressure. Assuming you have spark, check that as well

Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Cranks, no start and spark or no spark at the end of a plug wire?

George

Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM

O.k., got a little further today. Thereīs fuel at the fuel pressure control valve as soon as I turn the ignition on. Didnīt measure pressure yet, but there is plenty of fuel coming. Thereīs spark also, but cap, rotor and wires are in lousy shape, so I ordered all the ignition parts including a new coil. Will see what happens once the new parts are in.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

"Plenty" isn't an engineering unit. Don't get me wrong - there have been people giving same answer as You do, but after all the pump wasn't ok.

Another thing are the spare parts. I don't know what chances You have for getting a quality spare parts in Germany. Here, in Poland, we have the suppliers, but what they offer are mainly a chineese crap, that is not a very wise idea to install. Stackng that poor quality here and there is asking for troubles. Fellows here advised me RockAuto.com as a supplier with reasonable prices and the shipping costs. Since that time, I don't buy anything locally, but always overseas.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Yes - Rockauto is my main parts source. Very reliable, great service, fair prices, fast delivery, and quality brands.

Originally Posted by Mike.308
"Plenty" isn't an engineering unit. Don't get me wrong - there have been people giving same answer as You do, but after all the pump wasn't ok.

Another thing are the spare parts. I don't know what chances You have for getting a quality spare parts in Germany. Here, in Poland, we have the suppliers, but what they offer are mainly a chineese crap, that is not a very wise idea to install. Stackng that poor quality here and there is asking for troubles. Fellows here advised me RockAuto.com as a supplier with reasonable prices and the shipping costs. Since that time, I don't buy anything locally, but always overseas.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know how it turns out.....

Old 05-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Update. Changed Coil, distributor cap and rotor, and all seven wires. After a number of failed attempts, car startet a couple of times and ran. Engine control light blinking. Trouble code P0122 appeared (throttle position sensor). When turned off, car wouldnīt start ever since. Will try again tomorrow, see what happens. Pretty sure now that itīs the aftermarket anti theft system (Tec-Tus") that is causing the trouble.

Quick Reply: Starting issues