2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting problem, if not one thing than ANOTHER!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

So after all the questions I asked regarding my neg camber, I finally got it fixed.... then I get punched right in my face.

I went to the store after fixin my neg camber and as I was pulling into my parking spot the truck stalled. My gas gauge has been broke since i bought the truck and I immediatly figured I was running out of gas. I turned it right back over and it cranked right up, I then pulled into my parking spot and cut off the truck - I proceded to shop. Before I go any further, I think that its noteable that the truck has stalled before on me with a full tank. Its always cranked right back up and its only happened at low idle. I never paid too much mind to it because it happened so infrequently and ALWAYS cranked RIGHT back up. Moving on...

When I came out of the store I was planning on immediatly shooting directly across the street and getting fuel. I got to my truck and turned it over... and turned it over... and turned it over. Nothing. I thought to myself ok, out of gas. Luckily I has a gas can in the back of the blaze, I walked over and got me a gallon. After puttin in the gallon the same sequence happened, a whole lot of cranking and NO action. Well damn...

My next step was to locate the problem, I walked to the auto part store in the shopping center and got a can of starting fluid. After spraying some into the throttle body I cranked it one time and it started right up! And then died as soon as it burned off the ether. Well damn... again.

Then I went in and got the code reader to see if I could pick up anything, nothing but a bad co2 sensor. So next I started looking at the fuel pump. Upon the inspection of the fuel pump I could immediatly see that a wiring harness had been spliced in recently and what I'm assuming a new fuel pump was put it. (Btw yes the fuel pump whines when the key is cut on to the "on" position verifying that its being primed)

So what should be my next step here? I'm wondering if a gallon of gas is even enougb for the fuel pump to touch. Maybe its an aftermarket pump or one not specifically made for this vehicle and It doesnt reach to the bottom of the tank... ? That's the FIRST thing I'm going to do in the morning, add another gallon or two of fuel and see if she'll turn over. But if this miracle wouldn't or doesn't work what should I look towards? I'm so frustrated! Obviously its a gas issue not gettin into the motor, it gets spark and air cuz it will run on ether. Should I hook a fuel pressure gauge to it and go from there? I read the sticky on that ane I plan to do that second if the extra fuel wont turn it over. So I guess my question is what to do after the fuel pressure check. If its good in every shape and form as far as pressure where do I go next? And if it doesnt have correct fuel pressure where do I loom to?

Thanks y'all, this site has been a huge blessing since owning this Blazer! I apologize for the long post, I just want the readers to understant EXACTLY what's going on and what happened leading up to this.

Oh and I did try to search for an answer on this before starting this thread, everyone else problems sounded the same but different in a significant way... and I'm sorry for not being able to just edit my original post and having to post again, I'm using the mobilr version and I see no edit button!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

what are you driving ?

Id start by checking the fuel pressure could be a weak pump

Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Starting Member

Oh crap, sorry... 97 Blazer LT. And yea I'm kind of leaning towards thag but will it have pressure on the check valve if that's the problem?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yes there could be pressure at the check valve but not enough to start the engine

Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to TEST the fuel pressure to confirm that it is high enough. Just listening to it or seeing it squirt out the test port does NOT confirm a thing about the pressure. These engines need >55psi to start properly and it needs to remain above 50psi for 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Get a pressure tester and let us know what the readings are with the key-on/engine-off.

Aftermarket pumps are junk in these trucks just as stated in all those other threads you've read (or did you). Your problem sounds EXACTLY like the vast majority of 'trouble starting' threads... Nothing unique about it and you didn't do the #1 thing stated in ALL of them...

Originally Posted by shotnva777
and I'm sorry for not being able to just edit my original post and having to post again, I'm using the mobilr version and I see no edit button!
Don't be sorry, just don't bump a post so quickly to add something that doesn't really bring anything more to this thread..? Try to be more thorough with your post so you don't have to edit it or pop into the normal version, edit, and then back to the mobile version. It's easy, I do it all the time.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Starting Member

Yea my bad about the thread thing, will try but I'm on the road a lot (when I have a vehicle lol) and there are things I forget sometimes. And yes I did read them and no I haven't had a CHANCE to test it yet, I don't own a fuel pressure gauge. Guess that's just my bad luck huh? And no, none of the threads had my EXACT problem. It was either "my truck wont start no matter what" or "my truck wont run and I donr hear the pump kick on" or "my truck will start with starting fluid and run all day but not after sitting overnight. So yea, there were some pretty big differences (what I consider differences) in my exact situation. And even if I DID find one EXACTLY like mine, there were no answers. (Other sites)

Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 AM
BF Guru

call your local auto parts and see if they have a loan a tool program or buy a gauge they go for around 30 - 40 bucks . Its a well worth to have and its also better diagnosing it 1st before trowing parts into it

Edit : this might help you also

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-23038/

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-13-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Starting Member

Yes definitly, I'm buying one first thing and checking it. No one is really answering my question tho haha... what do I need to replace if I don't have enough psi to crank it? Or what do I need to replace if I get 55+ and it stays above 50 for 10 mins? Then what? I've heard some type of injector harness goes out on these quite often... is there a such thing?

*edit* (I figured it out! Lol) I read that moderator post before I even started this thread. A lot of that stuff is jibberish to md and those diagrams or w/e are confusing as hell. I just kinda wanted to know where to go with correct pressure and vice versa.

Last edited by shotnva777; 08-13-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it's gibberish, ask questions. Specific questions. It is all pretty clearly laid out though. It likely will be your pump, but it pays to check for proper power & ground back at the pump. If you have enough pressure, then we'll cross that bridge when/if we have to. It all starts with the filter pressure test.

You truck does not have the harness like the CPI engines do so don't worry about that.

You must not be searching for the right things... There have been quite a few no start except with starter fluid or gas down the throttle body lately. Typically these problems crop up more wh en it starts getting cold out.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Quick Reply: Starting problem, if not one thing than ANOTHER!