2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

T-Case fluid and diff oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default T-Case fluid and diff oil questions

I plan on looking at my T-case fluid and the oil in my differentials. I was wondering what am I looking for to tell me I should change it? Also any tips in changing these fluids if I need to.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: T-Case fluid and diff oil questions

Your transfer case should be good, but just pull the fill plug (top) on the back of the case and make sure that the level is right at the bottom of this plug. You MUST use GM Autotrak 2 transfer case fluid due to the design of the AWD transfer case.

You may not have a drain plug though. If you do not have a drain plug, you will need a small hand pump to pull the old gear oil out. For the front diff, you need to use 80w90 or 75w90 synthetic gear lube.

If you wanted to, it wouldn't hurt anything to change out the transfer case or diff fluid.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:19 PM

My manual says DexronIII ATF for the transfer case. Is the Autotrak 2 better for it or is the manual an error? If I should use Autotrak 2 do I need to head to a dealer or is it sold at advanced or napa?

Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. Sorry, I was in remembering when the change in the transfercase happened. The '98+ Auto4wd and AWD transfer cases require the Autotrak 2. Yours is good with Dexron III ATF as it isn't a viscous coupling type transfer case. Thought that change happened in the '97 model year, but looking back now it happened in '98... Sorry about that.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Ok my dealer says I should use AutoTrak 2 but I have to do a flush and fill then drive 10 miles and do another flush and fill.