2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Three different problems all occured at the same time HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
BlazerBrendan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Three different problems all occured at the same time HELP!

Hello Blazer enthusiasts!

Very strange thing happened today, a friend of mine suggestest I tap into the Blazer Forum for help.

I have a 97 Blazer (S-10) automatic. We drive our Blazer between Truckee, CA and Reno, NV daily, so high elevation driving for about 80 miles per day. Until this week, smooth sailing.

Our check engine light has come on, the vehicle is bogging down when it comes to power (but never completely stalled ), and I cannot get the key out of the ignition.

Yes, the truck is in park.
The stuck-key-in-the-ignition thing has happened with two different keys to the Blazer
The shortness of power is temporary...it happens then goes away

My immediate thought is the ignition switch but I am not sure that would cause a power loss in the engine.

Any ideas/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Three different problems all occured at the same time HELP!

1st thing would be to have the codes read and let us know what they are. Please let us take a crack at diagnosis rather than the well meaning employees of your favorite autoparts store... Often they mean well, but can be way off base in terms of recommending the proper course of action for repairing your vehicle.

2nd, the ignition switch will not make the key stick in the ignition. Have you tried wiggling the shift lever while trying to get the key out?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM

I have a date at 9AM to get the codes read, you can guarantee I will check here first.

I did spend some good time fumbling with the key and putting it through the gears, taking laps around the parking lot (why not), etc. This has happen two other times in the past week and the only thing that seems to work is just leaving the keys in the car for a while. A few hours later, the key will pop right out like normal. Very strange.

Thanks for the quick response

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM

OK, so the codes that read were:

P0740
P0758
P0785
P1860
P0753

the lady at autozone said that she believes that it is an electrical issue that involves the computer telling the engine when to shift. This might explain the loss in power (for example if we are going from a dead stop in second gear) but I would appreciate any ideas you might have!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a lot of codes!! Sounds like there maybe an interuption in the wiring between the PCM and the transmission...

Here is the rundown on what your codes mean:
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P0785 Shift Timing Solenoid
P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit

Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks Swartlkk, looks like this is oing to be one of those things that I dont have a chance of fixing on my own!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Beginning Member
loppy crimp is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same codes: P0740, P0753, P0758, P0785, P1860, plus P0306. What did you do to fix the problem? I am thinking about replacing the ECM (or the PCM) module. Any thoughts?

Old 10-12-2008, 01:33 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a little wiring harness inside the transmission at the valve body that could be causing these problems

Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

change the ignition switch-this will fix it.jp[:@]ps that solution is for blazer brenden but loppy crimp you issues sound the same but the po 306-not sure what that is without my manual but have had many 97's(and other years) with those tranny codes and the tranny looses it's 12v feed from the ignition switch and a new one cures it. There is another way to fix it requiring a relay and a 12v feed and a fuseable link and cutting into a tranny wire right off the tranny but a GM ignition switch is my preferred way to fix.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Holy old thread!!

loppy crimp, please keep it to one thread. Since you already started a thread asking for help, you do not need to double post in other threads. Especially other threads that are over a year old.

Quick Reply: Three different problems all occured at the same time HELP!