2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Kat
Starting Member
Kat is on a distinguished road
Question Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick...

Hi YALL!

I have a Vortex V6 4.3L W code that I just converted from second gen SCPI w/poppets to ACDELCO Part # 2173028 {#89060439} INJECTOR KIT,CENTRAL SEQ M/PORT FUEL (New GM electronically controlled spider assembly)

Gave her a proper tune up and Put her all back together... So she starts and runs like a dream. Really beautiful to see since she has over 125,000 miles on her.

The only complaint I have is she has developed a really loud tick that she never had before, somewhere near the passenger rear of the engine. Could be coming from the upper intake manifold/regulator but could also be from near the distributor or #6 cylinder cant quite narrow it all the way down without better diagnostic tools...

Is there anyone else on the forum who has done this conversion?

What I need to know is does the new regulator/electronic fuel injectors make a ticking noise during operation similar to the way a diesel fuel pump/injectors make noise? Or do I have another problem that needs attention?

Would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge about this particular fuel injection assembly before I tear the engine back apart looking for my mystery tick. If the new CMPFI make a ticking noise that the SCPI (poppets) did not, I can live with it as long as I know its normal & she is good 2 go!

I highly recommend the conversion from the inferior SCPI w/poppets to either this or the delphi MFI! I have faith that all you guys out there can handle the task cause I pulled it off & I'm a girl!

Thank yall very much!!!
Kat

Also upgraded to:
Summit racing (Accel???) Cap/Rotor & Super Coil
Magnacor 8.0 application specific racing Plug wires w/denso iridium power plugs
3 New NTK oxygen sensors (It calls for 4 but I only found 3-does anyone know where the 4th one might be? LOL)
Power slot front slotted rotors w/hawk yellow ceramic brake pads all around
Summit Racing (B&M???) High Capacity Alloy Transmission Pan-Love having a drain plug!!!
AND Replaced Intake Manifold Gasket as it was leaking coolant and the valve cover gaskets as well (Felpro Gasket Kit) Serpentine Belt, All Vaccum Lines, Filters & Fluid.
All made a huge difference in either performance, fuel economy or convenience.

Next project:
Leaking Pan Gasket? (Already replaced crank sensor o-ring so thats not it)
followed by a Pick & Pull Air Box cold air mod or a snorkel fab... Will post mod/fab. But if I had the extra cash to blow on an after market cold air kit I would have had to have gone w/BANKS! Then its on to bushings and undercoating restoration.

More to follow...

Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member
TannerPacker is on a distinguished road

I had that happen before. It turned out to be a small pinhole in the exhaust. Hope that helps

Old 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The injectors will make noise to a certain extent, but nothing like the noise from a diesel injector. Does it sound like it is coming from inside the engine or outside?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

same problem turned out to be a small pin hole as well. if its cold there its easy to find leaks