2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Top end tear down HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member
rockislife04 is on a distinguished road
Default Top end tear down HELP!!!

ok im tearing down my engine to replace head gaskets! Def not a fun car for you first tear down! i am sorta stuck right now with the power steering pump and wanted to know if anyone had any videos or many tips. Is there an online manual to show me how to tear it down? Please help me out im halfway there and i need this thing done i have no vehicle to use!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

What do u mean your stuck at the pwr sterring pump? Like you cant figure out how to move it out of the way? If that is the case just pull the entire braket off the engine or pull the pully off and take the pump out of your way.....head gaskets on these trucks and engines are easy, let me know exactly where ur trouble is and i will help u

Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have to pull the intake manifold out, start with the D-tips.com article on LIM gasket replacement. It details the removal of the steering pump quite well. There are two hidden fasteners. One near the rag joint on the steering shaft into the side of the block and another under the power steering pump near the main crank pulley.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

One thing that I do is take plenty of pictures of how things and wires are bolted on and plugged together. It really helps in the re-assembling process. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member

I have been doing the picture thing I'm young and have a good memory but not that good! Now I took off those castanets and it still seems like it won't come loose! Now when I finally do get it loose am I gonna have to pull the steerig shaft out to get to exhaust bolts? Ty so far

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member

Ty for that article got te pump off bow moving foward

Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member

Got intake off and it was full of nasty sludge!!! What is there to do to clean this engine out! Please help

Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with a shop vac and get rid of as much as you can out the top. The sludge is caused by the coolant mixing with the oil. You could flush down through the block with some solvent, but you have to make sure that you flush the solvent out with fresh oil before putting the drain plug back in. You may have to do some very short oil changes after that as well.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

Ok well here's the update.... Finally got it back together it starts runs but it seems like the timing is off. We checked the roter and the marks on pulley and they are lined up what's the possibility. That the timing chain jumped a tooth and cause all this over heating and stuff? If there is anyone in the Philly area that knows alot about the 98 4x4 give me a text or call if u might be able to come and help us diagnose. Ty

Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the distributor gear is off. Try loosening it and adjusting the timing. If it gets better one way and worse the other then just pull the distributor and rotate it one tooth towards the direction it runs best.

Quick Reply: Top end tear down HELP!!!