2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Truck bogs and buks, and ABS and BRAKE lights come on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck bogs and buks, and ABS and BRAKE lights come on!!!

so... all of a sudden everytime I take off (or speed up from slow), the truck bogs down and bucks like it wants to die (but it hasnt died yet), and both the ABS and BRAKE warning lights come on. If i throttle through it, the lights go away and shell run fine till i have to speed up from stopping or slowing down.

HELP!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the CEL on as well? Does the speedo jump around at all during all of this?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM

CEL does not come on at all when it happens. I havnt noticed wheather the speedo jumps, but the RPMs jump around a bit.

EDIT: Just went out and read the codes; no MIL but she did have a P1406 which I cleared. I have a scantool, so Im thinking I should go for a drive and see if my passenger can spot any specific sensors that are going nutz!

Any Ideas?

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 01-08-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

P1406 refers to a problem with the EGR pintle position. A malfunctioning EGR could cause the symptoms you describe. I think the ABS and Brake lights indicate a different problem altogether. Try this:

If your SES or CES light came on and you pull a P1406 code from your PCM, try this before you pay a shop to fix it:
Remove your EGR valve and soak it in about an inch of good carbon cleaner. Dont submerge the whole thing, just the bottom part where the valve seats. Leave it overnight and clean it really good the next day with a pick and a brush. (a small screwdriver and an old toothbrush work just fine.)
Push open the valve and carfully clean any carbon built up around the valve and seat. The valve should move freely and NOT stick in the closed position. When the valve is dry, reinstall it and clear the codes.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:09 AM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

If the truck is laying down hard it'll set the ABS light off. (quick deccelaration with no brake switch application). I had a CKP sensor that would malfunction only under hard throttle, when the truck died the ABS light would come on. And yeah, a malfunctioning EGR valve will do that too.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

I would start by removing the EGR valve and giving it a thorough cleaning. While the valve is off, make any attempt you can to clean the supply line from the exhaust manifold and the feed line to the intake. This code can be caused by a restricted or blocked feed or supply line.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM

ill go pull the egr and swap it with my swapper egr on the shelf. p1406 is usually always in the truck. i clean the egr every few months, it was cleaned a moth ago, but ill give it another shot!

any other sugestions in the meantime? what would happen if something was binding the tranny? could that cause anything close to this? let me know, i pretty much need to squash this bug today!!! help!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey
ill go pull the egr and swap it with my swapper egr on the shelf. p1406 is usually always in the truck. i clean the egr every few months, it was cleaned a moth ago, but ill give it another shot!

any other sugestions in the meantime? what would happen if something was binding the tranny? could that cause anything close to this? let me know, i pretty much need to squash this bug today!!! help!
Did you check the link swartlkk posted? I'll copy it over here, just in case you didn't. It points to an electrical problem with the egr valve.

P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

Schematic

Circuit Description
The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) constantly monitors the linear Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve pintle position sensor to ensure that the valve is responding properly to commands from the VCM. The DTC P1406 is a type A DTC.

Conditions For Setting The DTC
The Following Conditions will set the DTC:
^ EGR pintle position signal indicates a voltage out of the normal range of the pintle position sensor, or a signal that is 10% greater or less than the VCM commanded position.
^ Ignition voltage greater than 9 volts.

Action Taken When DTC Sets
If a current DTC P1406 sets during 2 consecutive test cycles, the VCM turns on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

Conditions For Clearing The MIL/DTC
The VCM turns the MIL off after 3 consecutive driving trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will clear it no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (coolant temperature has risen 40°F from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature exceeds 160°F during that same ignition cycle) or the scan tool clearing feature has been used.

Diagnostic Aids
A poor connection or rubbed-through wire insulation may cause an intermittent. Check for the following conditions:
^ Poor connection or damaged harness - Inspect VCM harness connectors for backed out terminals BL18, GR27, GR19, or RE1O for the following items:
^ Improper mating.
^ Broken locks.
^ Improperly formed or damaged terminals.
^ Poor terminal to wire connection.
^ Damaged harness.
Intermittent test - If connections and harness check OK, monitor a digital voltmeter connected between affected terminals and ground while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change.

Diagnostic Charts

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step umbers on the diagnostic table.
2. Checks for an EGR valve sticking partially open or an incorrect pintle position sensor feedback signal.
3. Ensures that the VCM is capable of controlling EGR pintle position and is reading the pintle position feedback signal properly.
4. Checks the EGR valve driver in the VCM and the EGR LOW signal circuit.
5. The checks for an incorrect EGR pintle position sensor input signal. This test verifies a 5 volt reference at the EGR valve.
I'd start there instead of worrying yourself with something that may not even be an issue. What's the point in asking for advice if you're just going to ignore the advice given?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM

Im not ignoring the advice given, i am simply trying to consume all usefull information as i can WHILE i deduce this problem. like i said; i have today to fix this so ANY oppinions about what MIGHT be going on are welcome! i am attempting to rule out the egr as we speak.
thank you.

any ideas, help!

EDIT: After furthore testing i dont think the p1406 has anything to do with whats going on. Im thinking ABS module, but hopeing maybe its a sticking drum or caliper. the enginge sounds like she is running fine, but the abs ligh goes on then the ebreak light then they both go off.
i just took her for a spin and the only way i could get it to happen was gunning from a stop and turning sharp. but the traffic is not the same as yesterday.

abs module? stickey drum/caliper? help?

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 01-09-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 AM

What kind of scan tool do you have? Will it pull ABS codes?

Quick Reply: Truck bogs and buks, and ABS and BRAKE lights come on!!!