2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

trying to increase gas mileage....

Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM
radar is on a distinguished road
Default trying to increase gas mileage....

i have a 95 gmc jimmy w/ 105k tryin to get the best mileage possible out of it, it got "16 mpg" stock, id like to see 20 i know i'm nuts, already have a K&N faithful believer won't take it out no matter what, will clean map n throttle body, have a new fuel filter to put in it replaced pcv n plugs but cheapies have planned to put the e3 in it n i have a royal purple w/ a K&N oil filter n lucas synthetic treater n a rad (Peak 50/50 n royal purple) n trans royal puple n lucas was thinkn bout putiin in a turbonator yaeh i'm sure that's a scam but it did seem to work w/ the last car i had n yea i crunched the #s i didn't just go off of my gut but that's all i can think of, if anyone else has other ideas plz tell me i drive 50mi 2 work n back 10-11 days a wk n i'd love it if 1 fill up would last @ least 1 wk n hopefully close 2 2wks will try almost anything so sugest away plz thanx, btw 2 complicate it more i plan to lift this thing n put some oversized on it this might help my hwy mpg maybe lol but city will go wayyyyy down

Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

how do you figure you'll increase the mileage buy putting hugh tires on it? that's greater rolling resistance (more fuel consumption). 16mpg? yeah, that's about right for combined driving (my truck only has 182K/113 miles on it), altough the damn OH computer says i'm only getting 13.6, and if that was the case, i shoulda stuck with the old '90 Burb w/5.7 in it.
you need to remember, it all comes down to our driving habits. quick/hard starts will eat into it, and flying down the highway too. the only way i get better mileage, is to stick to the side roads around my area where it's posted 80K (50mph), but go 100K (62mph)-and that'll only give me an extra 50K (31 miles) to the tank.
i've tried going 100 on the highway, but even with the cruise on, i can't do it! i usually set the cruise @ 120K (75mph) since you can usually get away with that 999 times out of 1000.
has anyone that doesn't pussyfoot their truck around, actually found something that works to increase the mileage, and not just drain your pocket?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

First and foremost, you are not texting and your post is hard for me to read.

Now, one of the easiest and cheapest ways to improve milage is to shed weight. Take a look and see what you are carrying around in your vehicle. Get rid of anything that you don't absolutely need, such as your spare and jack. I carry probably about 200lbs of stuff in the back but I'm not overly concerned about it.

Check your tire pressure at least weekly. Probably the BIGGEST culprit ever for robbing milage is improperly inflated tires. Some say inflating about 5-10 psi above the suggested psi gives better milage on the highway, not too sure about around town. You could also get some street friendly tires if you've got something more desirable for offroading.

Of course, a fresh tune up always helps. You might even try Seafoam if something like that has never been done.

It's kind of hard to make a brick going down the road aerodynamic. About the only thing I can think of is remove the luggage rack, if you have one. I guess you could put some little car type side mirrors on but that would look a bit silly, IMHO.

And as already mentioned, change your driving habits if you like pushing that skinny pedal all the way down.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AJBert
Check your tire pressure at least weekly. Probably the BIGGEST culprit ever for robbing milage is improperly inflated tires. Some say inflating about 5-10 psi above the suggested psi gives better milage on the highway, not too sure about around town. You could also get some street friendly tires if you've got something more desirable for offroading.
i couldn't agree more AJ. it's unbeleiveable how many vehicles (cars & light trucks) are running around with tires that are obviously running at least 50% under inflation. not only does this eat into your fuel mileage, it increase wear in your tires (a low front tire, will pull on the other front tire, causing it to wear unevenly as well). there is also the lack of response in a under inflated tire when you need to stear/brake suddenly.
i only run LT's on my trucks, which run anywhere from 50psi to 80psi max pressure, and alway ensure that my tires are +/- 3psi from max pressure. i can't understand these ppl that have "P" series tires ontheir vehicle, and run them @ 25 to 28psi because, "it gives me a smoother ride". what?!? you want a smoother ride, buy a Cadillac! don't own a truck, that typically does ride harsher than a car, and complain about how stiff it rides.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AJBert
First and foremost, you are not texting and your post is hard for me to read.
x2 on this. The post was VERY hard to understand and read.
I have to agree with everything AJ suggests too. "slug tires" (as they are referred to on bus ads around town for greener driving) are big culprits.
Also, putting bigger tires on it will give you WORSE mileage highway or not. I'm not sure why you thought you might get better...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Sisk
x2 on this. The post was VERY hard to understand and read.
glad to see i'm wasn't the only one. while i never had amazing English grades, i did ok, just don't ask me to break down the structure of a sentence. at least you would think most ppl would know where a period at the end of a sentence would go. hint: try reading the origional post, in one breath, without pausing- just like it's writen.
i don't think anyone here is saying we only want an English major to do the posting here, but it does make it more difficult for us to help with the problem, when we're just trying to figure out what is being said.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
glad to see i'm wasn't the only one. while i never had amazing English grades, i did ok, just don't ask me to break down the structure of a sentence. at least you would think most ppl would know where a period at the end of a sentence would go. hint: try reading the origional post, in one breath, without pausing- just like it's writen.
i don't think anyone here is saying we only want an English major to do the posting here, but it does make it more difficult for us to help with the problem, when we're just trying to figure out what is being said.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
Using capital letters helps too. And what's a ppl? (Or were you texting?)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:31 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Sisk
aaaa, thank you, thank you very much.

Originally Posted by theeviltwinn
Using capital letters helps too. And what's a ppl? (Or were you texting?)
what did you mean by "using capital letters......." evil?
sorry "ppl" is text for "people". sometimes i slip into short form, which is werd, 'cause i never text on my cell.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by radar
i have a 95 gmc jimmy w/ 105k tryin to get the best mileage possible out of it, it got "16 mpg" stock, id like to see 20 i know i'm nuts, already have a K&N faithful believer won't take it out no matter what, will clean map n throttle body, have a new fuel filter to put in it replaced pcv n plugs but cheapies have planned to put the e3 in it n i have a royal purple w/ a K&N oil filter n lucas synthetic treater n a rad (Peak 50/50 n royal purple) n trans royal puple n lucas was thinkn bout putiin in a turbonator yaeh i'm sure that's a scam but it did seem to work w/ the last car i had n yea i crunched the #s i didn't just go off of my gut but that's all i can think of, if anyone else has other ideas plz tell me i drive 50mi 2 work n back 10-11 days a wk n i'd love it if 1 fill up would last @ least 1 wk n hopefully close 2 2wks will try almost anything so sugest away plz thanx, btw 2 complicate it more i plan to lift this thing n put some oversized on it this might help my hwy mpg maybe lol but city will go wayyyyy down
Theres your problem...your driving to and from work 10-11 days in a 7 day week! Cut that down to, 7 day's of to work and back and you will save gas!

On a side note, I have researched and actually found a few things. Like some already mentioned weight and tires, and a tune up. But another thing I have come across is if your using 87 unleaded switch up to 93(roved this personally). Bit more, but I have picked up about 40-50 extra miles to a tank. Also another thing is switching out the factory radiator. Bit more expensive, but switch to one a more efficent unit, then adding some electric fans, on a temp switch will give you 1-2mpg(Found this out from a friend who did it to his blazer!).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trying to increase gas mileage....