2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Use Seafoam or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Beginning Member
Timmer48 is on a distinguished road
Default Use Seafoam or not

What do you guys think of SeaFoam Cleaner & Lube spray. I bought some and was going to use it on my 98 Jimmy...but now I"m scared I"m only getting 240 kms to a tank of fuel. I used to get around 400 and I thought THAT was bad Help?? lol

Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What has been done recently to the engine as far as tune up work? (AC Delco spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor, and a good quality brand of spark plug wires). Generally, gas mileage repairs don't come in a bottle

Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Beginning Member

I hear ya. I changed wires and plugs last year. Distributor about 1 1/2 years ago when the battery kinda died and did something to the old one. I have to change the front wheel bearing on it and was thinking of getting rid of it soon if I can't figure out this issue. I've spent too much on it already over the past few years and was thinking it's time to say goodbye to my good old reliable friend

Last edited by Timmer48; 01-18-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

any check engine light?

with the cold weather , how much are you warming up ?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Beginning Member

No check engine light. There was one on for a couple of years. My diagnostic tool gave me a code which pointed to a sensor which I replaced, and now no engine light at all.
Now my abs is acting up though. Comes on at around 5 mph even on dry pavement and I almost hit the wall at y place because it didn't stop me until I pumped the brakes and came to a stop.

Oh..and warming up...I start it about 6 minutes or so before I leave early in the mornings.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Low speed ABS activation is a very common problem, simple & free to repair it. The TSB does not mention your vehicle specifically, but the diagnostic & repair procedures are the same..

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/GM...s_bulletin.pdf

Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member

Excellent! Thank you for that info Captain. Will be trying that today as well

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmer48
Oh..and warming up...I start it about 6 minutes or so before I leave early in the mornings.
That is a loooong warm up and will definitely impact your average mpg.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Beginning Member

I know. I run out and start it when it is -10oC (14oF) or under. Come in get dressed then head out. But have been doing that for years and it didn't have an impact before?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member

Well..I did the ABS thing but still issues...so maybe I didn't do it good enough. SO, I just pulled the fuse. Brakes work great now but just have to put up with the ABS dash light now lol
Also sprayed SeaFoam cleaner into the motor and wow. Truck wants to go now. Even the gas pedal feels easier to push now. Can that happen?? Now, will just see about the gas mileage during the week

Quick Reply: Use Seafoam or not