2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vibrates after tranny rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

I have checked both tps and map sensors on a scan tool and both check out good. its obd2. but have been told its obd1 but with obd2 codes. has the new obd2 computer on fender well. he didn't change out the flywheel. put a new converter in. also he rebuilt the same transmission in it. also it may have looked like somebody might have changed out the transmission at one time. because the mechanic told me some of the bell housing bolts were in the wrong spot or didn't have the right ones in it. and some of the braces from the bell housing to the transfer case bolts were missing or loose. so is it possible somebody put a transmission in from a 94 in it? I don't know.

thanks for your input

Last edited by bam_9_9_9; 07-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

Still it worked fine until the failure that caused you to go get it rebuild this time. Right? All trouble was after you picked it up from the shop. If it worked good before the failure and then got repaired and doesn't have tcc when picked up... It just sounds to me that the job got something unexpected done or assembled wrong. They built something into it by mistake and unknowingly. Not my first rodeo with the comeback monster either. I have been there and caused my own problems before. It’s a nasty kick in the ***, when you finally figure it out.

All off this is why I made the last post...

Tranzman

Old 07-13-2014, 07:03 PM

Also 1995 is a split year for OBD I and OBD II. Your badge (emission sticker) if you can still read it, will tell if it is OBD I or II compliant. The computer is under hood in both cases.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 PM

its obd1 compliant it says. also its been shifting hard coming off the highway ever since I bought it. except the vibration. the vibration is new as soon as I picked it up from the shop the first time.

I wonder if the guy who had it before me put in a different year transmission not knowing if it had to be only a 95? would that cause the problems im having even after the rebuild?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM

aright. just came back from the shop. still vibrates a bit after converter unblolted. but Im not worried about that anymore. so the non lockup and hard shift situation...... aslo I found the date code on trans and its a full blown 1995 with a 13 pin connector.

mechanic hooked up scan tool and all the transmission and engine components are working fine. fluid pressure is spot on when it needs to be. also he commanded the tcc lockup valve on and the rpms jumped down to 1600 and held steady until commanded off. so the solenoid and wiring is fine and so is the trans.

so is the computer at fault here. the scan tool says that the computer is NOT commanding lockup. doesn't want it. it does however lockup on a cold start and first getting up to 55mph. only locks for less than a minute then computer commands it off. then high line pressure and hard shifts.

if engine is turned off then back on, I get perfect shifts until I get up to 55mph then the computer doesn't want to lockup and it starts all over again.

no engine light but scan tool picks up bank one sensor one o2 sensor slow. and evap solenoid purge flow not detected.

also when in the transmission data it says that the tps is out of range. but I went through all the wiring to and from the tps and computer and ohm checked everything in that circuit and its good. plus its a new sensor.

so im wondering if its got a bad computer, since is spitting out a tps out of range but its actually not. scan tool shows good steady sweep and also tested with mutimeter.

so I can get a used computer for 50 bucks at a junk yard. do you guys think I should go for it or what?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM

Sounds like a inexpensive test. now you've got some better 411. try putting some dielectric grease in all the computer connections and case connecter. then re road test it, if it still acts up try the computer.
what scan tool was he using to command the TCC? i'm curious, cause i'm looking for a newer one for myself.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 AM

he used a snap on solus pro. so I will try some dialectric grease in all connectors I can get at on the engine, ecm and trans. then if that don't help then I will get a different computer.

is the computer a good suspect you think???

thanks for your input again.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM

yes at this point it does. either that or wiring and wiring itself has very rarely been an issue. connections yes actual wiring no. but it still could be chaffed some where in the harness. Although none of this explains the vibration. has anybody checked the harmonic balancer?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 PM

I went and got some electric parts cleaner and cleaned all the connections. then put dialectic grease on them as well. no change. so I will get a computer from the junk yard in the morning. also how would I tell if I have a bad balancer. I was thinking about getting a new one later on when I do a radiator flush so I can take rad out to get a puller on it.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 AM

well got a used computer and put it in. still no luck. it did however stay in lockup on the highway for a bit maby a mile then I turned around and it wouldn't lock up again. maby it was because the computer had to relearn since I had it disconnected.

the engine light came on for bank one sensor one o2 sensor for being slow at reading or something like that so I replaced it and now the engine light is off. still no lockup

what else guys..??. I think were getting close. if all else fails I will just have to put a switch in to force lockup so as to not burn up the tranny. and I would like to know if the pinouts for the 96-97 blazers ecm is the same as the 95 blazer ecm because I cannot find a pinout for the 95. I need to hook ground up to the tcc wire off the computer to make it switched lockup.

Quick Reply: Vibrates after tranny rebuild?