2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What exactly is this, and do I need to replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:56 PM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road
Default What exactly is this, and do I need to replace it?

Hey guys.

So I'm fighting with a few different issues related to the hatch at the moment on my '97 Blazer LT. I'll list them here:

-Interior light does not come on, even with the rest of the lights*.
-Rear Wiper doesn't work. Motor won't make a sound.
-3rd Brake Light doesn't work.

As of right now, the brake light is my biggest concern. However, in looking around at everything, I've been curious about this:

It's slightly cracked on the plastic at the end of it, as you might be able to see. I'm wondering what this is and what kind of role it plays? If it may be linked to one of the 3 issues I have?

Thanks guys.

*Interestingly, by wiggling the thing pictured above, I can get the interior light for the liftgate to come on sometimes. Typically by wiggling the wire about. Not sure if a Sign this part is bad or the wires though.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Where is that thing located?

Old 04-27-2019, 05:31 PM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road

Should have mentioned that, sorry. It's attached to the Hatch mechanism. Specifically, it's to the right of the hatch lock piece.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:36 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks like the cargo area light switch. Under $6 at Rockauto.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

It’s the switch that detects when the rear window hatch is opened. When you lift glass that lets the body control know hatch glass up and to turn on interior light if the override to off is not active pressed on dash. As for rear wiper, if fuse ok best to pop lower panel on rear tail gate. There are two connectors to motor, 4 pin easy to see on top and other under it. There is a switch to left when looking at it with 2 wires going to the motor part. This lets car know gate up and okay to run rear wiper. Unplug that 2 pin connector, use a ohm meter and measure between pins. On the switch there is a plastic white tab that pushes to right, when pushed should short out across those 2 pins. If stays open wiper no work. On my 98 I just took a thin piece of wire (like a stripped bread wire twist tie) and shoved into each pin and plugged back in to bypass this. Not like I’m going to trigger wiper with gate down anyway cause if it’s raining not opening that darn thing anyway.

(Edit: to remove that rear lower part- 2 screws at handle for lower gate, one on each side of lower gate near top edge and one in center to right of handle where window goes into. All philips head, once removed there are clips under that just press in so pick a end (left or right) and work around till all are popped loose. Once off there is a metal plate with hex bolts heads all the way around- pull those. After those off there are two white clips with rod running thru them, push the rod down with say a flat head screw driver (will pop loose) then remove metal panel. When you go to put back on, the holes are big enough to use finger to snap rod back into the plastic clips. Then insert bolts, then plastic part with clips, add screws, done. I just used my cordless with appropriate bit for the job.)

If it does short then check power at the 4 pin connector, should see 12 volts apx on 3 of the 4 pins when switched on at dash, one is ground. If that okay motor most likely toast.

As for rear top brake light, never messed with it seeing mine works fine. Someone else may be able to chime in on that one.

Last edited by Trukntigger; 04-29-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Extra info