2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

when turnin steering wheel alot to one side makes a popin noise what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
carlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when turnin steering wheel alot to one side makes a popin noise what is it?

I have a 95 blazer and not always but sometimes when im backin out of a parking spot or turning the wheels alot one way but driving slowly i hear like a pop noise and i took it to the mechanic and he he said he doesnt know what it is. Can anyone tell me what this might be? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: when turnin steering wheel alot to one side makes a popin noise what is it?

Could it be the strut bearing on top slipping/moving around(worn out)..i had a big issue on my Grand am with the strut bearing turning and popping noises.Worth a check anyhow.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: when turnin steering wheel alot to one side makes a popin noise what is it?

Blazer's don't have struts... So no strut bearing.

If it's when you turn, there are a few possibilities... Broken anti-sway bar end link, but I'd hope your mechanic could pick up on that. Worn tie rod ends, idler arm or a worn pitman arm - if bad enough and left unattended long enough, these may result in wear on your tires. Or worn ball-joints.

To test the steering components, make sure that there isn't any pressure on the steering linkages by parking on a level surface. Grab ahold of each of the components in the steering and check for play.

With the balljoints, I usually lift the front end off the ground and support on jackstands, then I slide a fairly long 2x4 under one of the front tires and lift up. If you hear a pop, then that is mostlikely the lower ball joint. The upper can be checked with the steering all the way to one side so you can see the upper control arm and upper ball joint. Put a pry bar under the upper control arm and lift up. Again, if you hear/feel a pop, then the ball joint is mostlikely worn and needs replacement.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this problem last year with popping noise when backing out of driveway with wheel turned. I did like Kyle explained and found the drivers side lower ball joint was excessively worn and so I changed both lowers....So fire your mechanic - he should have found this problem if you paid him then ask for partial refund....