2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where to buy a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Beginning Member
butcher321 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy a/c compressor

Last winter bought a 2000 Chevy s10 pickup with only 64,000 miles and runs like a champ. When I went to use the a/c the other day, blew hot. Put some R134a in it and blew cold again but was warm in just couple days. So charged again with UV dye added and found that compressor leaks and one small leak from o-ring on condenser. Have bought accumulator/drier, orifice and o-ring kit. Also while system is open going to replace hoses and all o-rings also. Now need to buy a compressor. Where is good place to get one?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member
Grandpaswagon is on a distinguished road

Bought a compressor and dryer for my '94 Camaro from this outfit a couple years ago. Still works great.

http://www.discountacparts.com/

Last edited by Grandpaswagon; 06-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member

Actually I ended up buying an ACDelco compressor and ACDelco hoses from Amazon for a pretty good price. Thanks to my free Prime membership shipping was free and will be here Saturday!

Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Beginning Member
Default Another A/C question

Replacing compressor, accumulator/drier, orifice and hose on my 2000 S10.
Two questions:
How much PAG150 should I add to the system? I know there is probably some left in condenser and evaporator.
Does anyone have any recommendations for reaching into hose connections on condenser?
Any help appreciated!!

Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What engine? If it's a P/U, it could be a 4 cylinder, which requires a different amount of oil. If you are replacing the compressor to due failure, you might want to seriously consider replacing the condenser as well, along with flushing the evaporator. The system must be evacuated for a minimum of 1 hour prior to charging. Accessing the hose connections at the condenser will require at least removing the fan shroud, and possibly the radiator.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Beginning Member

Captain Hook,
It is the 4.3L engine. Was planning on flushing evaporator and guess I better get a condenser. When I did the UV leak test, I had small spots of UV dye on front of the compressor and some spots from one of o-rings on condenser hose connections.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Total system oil capacity (Harrison HT6 compressor) is 8 ounces of PAG150. The compressor does not have a "crankcase": all oil is in suspension with the refrigerant. There are 4 main components: compressor, condenser, evaporator, and the accumulator. install 2 ounces of oil in each component when installing it. Some compressors come shipped with oil in them, others don't. Check with the manufacturer to be sure. Too much or too little oil in the system will cause problems. If your compressor did not suffer a catastrophic failure, the condenser may not need replacement. Check the screen in the fixed orifice tube for metal particles. If excessive, or the screen is torn, replace the condenser. The tiny passages in the condenser, along with the overall design, make it nearly impossible to flush it completely. If a piece from the old compressor makes its way to the new compressor, it will destroy it... money down the toilet

Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the info Captain. The compressor has not failed yet. When I charged to put UV dye in and test for leaks I was getting nice cold air. Let me just make sure on something. When installing the compressor, just 2 oz oil. It is a ACDelco compressor and do not know if it comes dry or oil in it. Understand from reading that if it has oil, should pour it out and put correct amount of PAG 150 in.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Beginning Member

Also - Should have all the parts by Monday. Once all R134a is evacuated I will pull orifice tube and give it a good check to be sure. When putting 2 ozs oil in new accumalator/drier does matter which side I put it in.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 AM

Post #8: you are correct. "Usually" AC Delco compressors come with oil in them. Look at the instructions in the box, it should tell.

Post #9: Add oil to the accumulator through the inlet port, not the side with the hose connection. Basically the accumulator is a can with two tubes that point downward just after they enter the can. The can gives the refrigerant an area to "accumulate" before being drawn into the compressor. http://www.vehicle-airconditioning.c...ccumulator.png

Quick Reply: Where to buy a/c compressor